Yellow bellied terrapin advice

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by regie, Sep 14, 2009.

1. regie

regie Embryo

Hi,

My housemate have two yellow bellied terrapins, who are about 5 years old i believe, one female, one male approx 14 cm in length, the female smaller. They are in approx 25 gallon tank, which I am lead to believe is too small. The temperature of the water is about 24 celsius. There is gravel in the bottom, with a UV strip bulb, and a filter and water heater. There is also a slightly raised area of rocks, with one flat one on the top on which they can bask. there is not a basking light tho. The timer is set so there is 12 hours light.
    They are fed on 'complete terrapin feed'. They have not had any calcium powder or cuttle bone supplement as far as I know.

Although they seem healthy enough, they do seem to do a lot of swimming against the glass trying to climb up it (I dont know if this is normal) and the tank just looks far too small for them.

Also, the female has started digging a lot. Again, I dont if this is normal behaviour, so any advice and help would be grately appreciated.

thanks

1) What temperature is the enclosure (include both water temperature and basking temperature where aplicable)?
    2) Describe the enclosure. Include details about the type of haul out area and basking area you have, substrate, any decorations or live plants, and especially what other occupants (if any) are in the enclosure as well.
    3) What type of lighting do you use? Is there a UVA/UVB light source? What wattage bulb do you use for a basking bulb? What are the lighting timers set to?
    4) Are you using a water filter, water heater, or any other type of equipment inside the tank? If so, what kind?

Also include details about diet. What makes up the majority of the diet? Are you supplementing the diet with calcium powder or cuttle bone?