wtf setup help please!

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by tongo, Aug 25, 2006.

1. tongo

tongo Embryo

hi everyone i went to the local petco today and i saw they had a tank sale so i bought a 20 gallon tall 24L x 12W x 16H tank for 20 dollars. i was going to buy fbt's but they don't sell them in oregon so i'm going to get a WTF's. i have a couple questions so that i may make them the best home before i buy them.

1. SUBSTRATE ok i'm thinking about going with the coco fiber i saw at the store also for 5 dollars. it looked like a brick and i think thats the one everyone says is good(eco something brand). i also heard that putting some rocks on the bottom of the tank is good for drainage and do i use something to separate the coco fiber from the rocks or is it ok to just dump the fiber on top?

2. PLANTS what type are the best plants for WTF's? and if i buy them would it be ok to just leave them in the pot and then cover the top with some river rocks or coco fiber?

3. BACKGROUND do i need to get a background or would the tank just be fine? any suggestions please!

4. LIGHTING i read they like 78-80 degrees in the day but what about the night? and what type of light bulbs should i use? humidity at 80% correct?

5. WATER how much water do they need? how deep of a dish? the frogs i saw for sale were about a little bigger than a quarter!

6. HANDLING/ROOM how many can fit in my tank? i want to get 3 but not too sure yet. also how long can i hold my WTF's without stressing them too much. i know that you wash your hands after and before you pick them up.

i will also use a little java moss but not too much in the corner. do the wtf's need a little hiding spot on the ground or are they ok in the plants.

any pictures of your WTF's tank setup would be greatly appreciated. i know that there are alot of questions but i just wanna do it right so they are not harmed or too stressed. the tank i saw them is like a 5.5 gallon tank and there were about 5 in there. thank you all for your help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

1. Coconut fiber is the best, so yes, buy the brick.
    2. Philadendron does well. The plant would have to sturdy if it's tall since they may try to climb it.
    3. No background necessary unless you like it.
    4. 12hrs light/12 hrs dark. No UV necessary. Temps about 80-85 (no higher) during the day (i stick with 80) and night temps not below 70. 60-70% humidity, no higher than 80% as humidity can be too high, even for frogs.
    5. An adult needs a larger dish about 6 inches across to soak in. The same dish can be used for smaller frogs, just add less water. They should be able to sit in the dish and be able to keep their heads out of the water.
    6. Rule of thumb: 1 frog per 20 gallons. I wouldn't mix them. White's can be cannabilistic. If you have enough room and they are the same size, you can try to introduce them, but aggression exists even in frogs. I wouldn't handle them at first. Give them time to settle in. Then handle for a few minutes a day for a few months working up to about 30 minutes. That's how long we give our frogs during public demos before we give them a break.