wow, there MUST be a difference with CricketFood!

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Cira, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Cira

Cira Member

Alright so my cricket gutload from Cricketfood.com finally came.
    I just got a new supply of crickets for my gecko this morning. I get home and place the crickets in their critter keeper and put a little dish of the Cricketfood gutload in there....
    I've never seen crickets attack food like that!
    Holy crap!
    And they stuffed themselves so much that they seemingly can barely move (which will make Cleo happy tonight when I feed her).

I'm not sure of the difference it will make in my gecko yet but I can tell the difference as far as how much the crickets like it. They never went after the Fluker's like that.

Which has me wondering.... maybe I should gutload the crickets before giving them to my Venus Flytrap plant?
    lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Hey maybe it will improve your VFT?? haha!
    I have heard great stories about there cricket food! And that the crickets just swarm it and come near to bursting. It should most definatly make her put weight on and improve her colours! I just wish I could get it :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cira

Cira Member

They don't ship to the UK? That sucks.

I can't wait to see what a difference it makes in my little gecko girlie.
    (and my VFT lol)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryan1990

Well I havn't looked into it but I hate to think what it would cost! As off reptile supplies the cheapest shipping you can get (like lightest thing I could find) is still $21! lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sheila

Sheila Member

Can you post a picture of your venus fly trap? I have always wanted one of those. Since they are being so picky about animals in the classroom, I thought that might be a good alternative. And cricketfood.com is the best. I have ordered it for two years now and have had plenty of fat healthy crix that pop!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

i wish i could convince my mom to get some, but she said she doesnt want me spending almost $20 just for food for crickets, even tho i have nothing else good to feed them :-/...and does it really improve their colors that much(the reptiles)

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Yes, it really does....it's awesome stuff. I go through 3-5 dozen crickets a week and a 1 pound bag lasts almost (if not) a year, it's well worth the money. Even with shipping, pound for pound, it's probably less expensive than anything you could pick up at the petshop....and sooo much better!

13. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

ya, the last gutload i bought from the pet store was some ESU stuff, i left the crickets in with it for a night and i looked at em the next day and they were all stiff as a board, kinda made me mad, but, i'll try and convince her to let me get some :p

14. Cira

Cira Member

Sure, I'll take a pic of it.
    It's just a little guy right now. I bought it only about 3 weeks ago. VFT's are cool little plants, though.
    I'll have the pic up soon.

15. dannielle

dannielle New Member

HockeyHerper, I use orange slices and bran + fish flakes and they are pretty wild about that combo. I think the crickets attack the food, however, because they are pretty much starved at the pet stores. But they seem to do well on the mix, and my three beardies look and act healthy. So in case you cannot convince your mom, try bran and rolled oats, etc. Healthy, natural things.

16. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Fish flakes are food for fish. there is a lot of junk in fish food that I just wouldn't want my lizards consuming.

17. dannielle

dannielle New Member

Junk like what? What in fish flakes is considered "junk"? If you are suggesting preservatives and coloring, those two things are ALSO included in dry bearded dragon diets. So are you suggesting people out to NEVER use dry diets because they contain "junk"?

Not to mention once the cricket's body breaks these items down into individual nutrients, minerals, and vitamins, that "junk" has transformed and is no longer what it once was, straight from the container.

18. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Preservatives, color enhancers, slime coat enhancers, etc. And the balance of nutrients is optimized for a goldfish, not an insect.
    Plus, how do you know crickets can break down all those various additives? They very well may lack the enzymes required to pull it off. Not all animals eat the same foods, leading to differences in what can actually be digested. So you'll be passing on the extra junk strait to your herps.
    I can't speak for the quality of beardie pellets as I've never used them. But I know for leos I don't recommend feeding anything except live insects that you've gutloaded yourself for this very reason. If someone else is gutloading and packaging them, I have no control over their health, and therefore my girls' health. Maybe I'm just anal, but I like control over what goes into their diet.

19. Ryan1990

Would bearded dragons pellets be a good gutload?? As I know longer have a beardie so dont need the pellets :?

20. dannielle

dannielle New Member

Not all fish flakes contain those things, and certainly by just reading the label you can ensure you are buying the proper foods; that goes for any product.

Ryan, there is a flaw in all of this- they are suggesting fish food with it's preservatives and added color are "junk" but bearded dragon pellets ALSO contain those "junk" items.

21. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anyone recommend those beardie pellets. True, I don't venture into that forum here so it may be a common practice for people to push those. But the people that I know with beardies (and take good care of them) have never recommended the use of those in my presence. Just like I never back non-live insects for leos. It's an unnatural diet for any herp and should be avoided whenever possible. Extreme cases may require it, but the best diet for any herp is what it would eat in the wild. Fresh veggies and live insects. Not canned, not pellets, not any of that stuff.

22. masterbreed

masterbreed New Member

i finally got some and my leos have gained atleast 3 grams each

23. ps90000

ps90000 New Member

So is the premium cricket food with Sprulina and immune system booster anything special? I know the price difference is very small, but was just wondering if it made any impact. Also if I plan on keeping some supers, is the bedding worth it, or could I just mix some cricket food in there?

24. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

You need to get the worm bedding for the worms. The cricket food is a very fine powder and will disrupt the worms breathing. They have to live in the bedding/gutload and require the coarser grind of the worm bedding. Superworms have been known to suffocate and die if the bedding is too fine of a powder.

25. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

Well, from what I know....the spirulina is supposed to enhance theyre colors, and I'm guessing the immune booster does just that, boosts their immune systems.