Why is my baby cali king such a spazz?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by ipushmycar, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ipushmycar

ipushmycar Embryo

I know that baby calis are very tempermental, however mine has never bitten me. Instead, he'll freak out, like he did today. For the first 10 seconds of me holding him, he just sat still, then he lept into action and was squirming like a mad man. I couldn't hold him without dropping him or hurting him, so I quickly put him back in his tank, where he continued to freak out (zipping around and jumping around extremely quickly). He didn't bite me, which is what I was expecting, nor did he musk. Is this sort of thing common, and if so how do I calm him down? I've had him for about 2-3 months, and I hold him very often. He only does this every now and then.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

my corn did that when i first got her. they'll barely ever bite but they'll freak out

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I have a new baby Cali King and it does the same thing. For the first two weeks every time I got near her she would rattle her tail and strike at me. I took her out tonight and she was much better. Like herp kid, my corn was nippy as heck when she was a baby but as mellow as possible now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns New Member

can u even feel it when a baby milk bites you? haha. i havent been bitten yet by mine. just wondering.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

my corn is calm when i hold him but he can freak out when other people try to hold him.
    maybe you accidently starteld him like when you have to replace ur hand when he's crawling around, takes some getting used to

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. flicka1991

flicka1991 Embryo

I just got a corn too and he fraks out for the first minute when i hold him.

12. lestat

lestat Moderator

Baby snakes are like that. Just gotta give them time and handle them regularly. It could take them a couple years to settle down. Usually they mellow out by two years old. Some snakes won't mellow out, but cali kings are usually pretty good.

Don't worry about a baby kingsnake biting you... It won't hurt. They do have tiny, thin little teeth, and it is possible to draw blood (I wouldn't really expect that until they get bigger) but you won't really feel it. Expect to be startled, since they can be fast little buggers, but you're not going to get hurt. :) I've been bit by a 3-4 year old kingsnake. It bled a little, but didn't hurt. The teeth are just too thin to do much damage.