Where to put thermometer?????????????????????

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by jackiet, May 19, 2004.

1. jackiet

jackiet New Member

:mrgreen:
    Hello. it's been awhile since I have posted here!!!!
    I am currently setting up 12" x 36" tank for another corn snake...... everything seems to be bueno---------
    just wonderring where everyone thinks the best place to put my digital thermometer in the tank.
    (Got it at Walmart for $14.99)
    It takes 2 temps. & the humidity, the digital probe extends out to opposite end of cage(presumably close to heating element). Is it true I should place the thermometer on "cold" side toward the top........ or the bottom???????

:?: :?:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TomServo

TomServo New Member

I have a cheap analog thermometer and hydrometer (10$ for both) and they just lay on the bottom of the tank. I could care less what it is 2" above the ground.. the snakes don't live there :)

As for location.. I move them once and a while to check the cool and warm sides.. but not as much since I have 4 tanks all the same.. I just alternate positions in the tanks. So, what is in one tank is 99% close to the other tank on that level (the bottom tanks stay warmer and wetter because of the tanks on the second level which are slightly cooler and dryer).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

it depends if the animal in the cage is ground dwelling or arboreal. if it's ground dwelling then close to the bottom. if it's arboreal near the top. i personelly prefer to have my thermometers in the wrm end

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jackiet

jackiet New Member

it would be a setup for rosey boa......... they are ground dwelling........ thank you everyone for your help...... i will have it close to the ground..................
    FYI~ my digital thermometer does EVERYTHING that the VEEEERRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY expensive special reptile thermometers do.............. only mine is $15.00 compared to the $60.00 I priced the other day

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

that subject line made me roll on the floor LMAO.....

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

LMAO! Carlos, that was my first thought too! Sick sense of humor!

As for the thermometer thing. I have different gauges for heat and humidity. I mounted my terrarium gauges on small pieces of plexi glass with a tiny hole drilled in it. This way I can hang them where ever I need to. Directly under the basking lamp, on the far corner next to the water feature, etc etc etc. I can also move these from one tank to another.

I've also heard that the temp guns have come down ALOT in price and that the cheap ones work every bit as well as the expensive ones. The cheapest temperature guns are now only $25 bucks.

I think its time to go shopping on ebay again....

Sharon

12. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

I did an ebay search for 1 about a week or so ago & with S&H costs, you'd be better off going to one of the Dept. stores Sharon.

Ps. It's funny tho, how great minds think alike.....LoL.

13. caliking

caliking New Member

put them directly under the heat lamp on the floor of the viv.

14. jackiet

jackiet New Member

thanks...................
    I have the tank set-up............. and trying to monitor the readings now- a few weeks before getting the snake......... I think I need a dimmer switch........ I went to the pet store and the price for rheostats(dimmer switch) is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much $$$$$$.... thinking of going to home depot and seeing if they have something similar............

15. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

Jackie.....sometimes ur better off doing just that. You'd be suprised what you can do when it comes to price shopping around.....just because it's pet related don't mean we have to purchase it in a petstore.....thier prices are rediclulous.