What to do now

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by drag_on457, Oct 6, 2007.

1. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

I been researching about uro for awhile now but i just got my very own mali for about 3 days now. I put him in his tank with all the proper lighting and everything but my uro is very paranoid and just wants to hide all day. I leave some veggies out for him but i don't really think he/she is even eating. Its been 3 days now that i have had her/him. What should i do now

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Just leave him to adjust. Three days is not a very long time, sometimes it takes 2+ weeks for a Uro to calm down, get used to its surroundings and get into a good eating schedule. I've had my Egpytian for two weeks and he just ate his first meal yesterday. Give him a fresh plate of greens every morning and just let him adjust...He should come around soon.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nines

Nines Member

I agree with Riddick, give him a little more time. Hunger will drive him. Got any pictures?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

ok thanx. and another question. Can i play with him or should i leave alone till then?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

and i'll take some pictures in the next couple of days and try to post

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

ok guys can you guys help me out some more. i know you said is could take up to 2 weeks or so but its been about a wwek and a half now or so and he/she still doesn't want to eat. She/he doesn't even want to bask. All she does is hide all day. I'm starting to get worried.

12. Nines

Nines Member

I am no expert on Uro's, in fact I have learned a large portion of what I know from this excellent forum. I think that common sense would lead us down the path that something needs to be done to stimulate your uro. Please, anyone else chime in. Maybe gently removing your Uro form it's hide, and placing it in an area that it can truly warm up, and then offering it an assortment of greens/food might steer it in the direction away from hiding constantly. I know that stress plays a big part, but I am afraid of dehydration, etc. It seems that everyone usually finds one food that will appeal to their Uro. Douglas Dix emailed me his experience with peas. For Nines, it's lentils soaked overnight in water. As always, good quality greens. I worry about water intake.

I can't say that I have ever played with my Uro, but I do admit that I talk to him constantly. Hey, people talk to their plants. I carry on conversations with my Egyptian. He doesn't talk back, but he gives me that look that makes me know that he understands :wink: .

How has his behavior been since you posted last?

13. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

What is your basking temperature set at?

If he/she is too cool he/she may decide to brumate.

14. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

the temp is 120 but he just stays in the cave

15. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

can anyone help at all. i figure someone could help cuz i don't want it to die on me

16. Rainystateherps

Rainystateherps Embryo

17. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

alright thanx

18. childofbean

childofbean New Member

I've had my mali for a few months and he has just now started to come out when I'm around

19. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

oh is that right. But did your uro eat at all? I think mine is starting to come out but i'm not sure. I just seen some veggies out of the bowl the other day when i came home.

20. nwtampaguy

nwtampaguy Embryo

have you tried something like red or yellow hybiscus flower. that will get mine running across his tank to take it from me.

21. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

no i haven't tried but i will..

22. Riddick

Riddick New Member

What are you offering the Uro everyday? Is the hide is in always in closer to the warm side or the cool side of the tank??

23. drag_on457

drag_on457 Embryo

the cave he stays in is on the cool side of the tank. I finally took the cave and everything out so he can't hide in there anymore. He still isn't eating and i called deerfarm or whatever and they told me to just use paper towel for now and check the temps over again. That might be the reason why he still isn't eating but i guess we will have to see if he gets any better.

24. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Lincoln is doing the same thing to me right now. He hasn't eaten a decent meal in almost a month, a little bit of nibbling here and there. I have taken him to the vet on 3 different occasions for bloodwork, fluids, and xrays and I have finally come to the conclusion that it is brumation, which it may be the case for your little guy too.

I would not totally remove the hide, the cave is a safe, comforting place for a Uro and if that is taken away it could acutally stress them out even more. Put the hide more in the warm area of the tank, switch to paper towel and recheck your temps, you may want to soak him in really warm water for a good 15-20 minutes as well. Also, what is your photo period? lights on/off? When I was going back and forth with the breeder I got Linc from I discovered that my photo period was wayy different than his, and adjusting the lights back to what he was used to improved his activity level greatly.

Stay positive and keep trying new things!! Keep us updated!! Good luck!!

25. KaoSDragon

KaoSDragon New Member

Hey riddick whats a good photoperiod?