what if he bites me?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by xx_orex_xx, Jan 10, 2005.

1. xx_orex_xx

xx_orex_xx Embryo

I just recently purchased a 5'7" Burm from somebody that i didn't even know... They "said" that they have had this snake for about a year since it was just a foot long or so and they recently had a baby and dont want the snake around anymore which is very reasonable. Its a good sized snake i guess being that the biggest snake i've ever had is my BP and only about 4' I've had the BP for about 8 months.. never been bitten. The Burm is very skiddish and I dont think they handled it as much as they said because everytime I try to take him out of this cage, he makes me very nervous of the way he acts. Takes me a few minutes to get him out... now here's my question... I know that eventually this snake is probably going to take a snip at me and i'm j/w if this snake is going to latch ahold of me? lol or just strike and let go? if he dont let go, what should i do? Just squeeze his little beady neck until it lets go? lol

Also.. is it a bad idea to put the 2 snakes together? I've heard things about how it increases the chance of diseases and stuff.. but do yall think they would fight? Thanks for the help...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xile

xile Member

burm and a ball? No way, your ball would eventually get destroyed.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

A ball and a burm would not do well together... the size difference alone would be a big problem. The ball would be dead in no time.
    You need to get over that handling issue or find a new home for the snake pretty quick.... at 5'7" it's not going to hurt too much, but in a year when the snake is twice that length it's a totally different story. If you are worried about the snake striking and coiling you can keep a spray bottle with some lemon juice and water mixed on hand to help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. xx_orex_xx

xx_orex_xx Embryo

Thanks for the help everyone... I recently took both snakes out and put them in my living room floor and they found each other... got on my electric blanket..and coiled up together... so I guess they dont mind each other but I doubt im going to keep them together... I just wanted to see what they would do. And like stormyva said... the Burm is still "small" so it wouldn't hurt that bad if it bit me and I know that... its just that it would be the first time I been bit so i know its gonna scare the Sh*t out'a me... heh

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Are you going to be able to care for an adult Burmese?

[​IMG]

If you believe so, keep alcohol near the cage and don't EVER try to handle him or even open his cage without at least one other person nearby.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xx_orex_xx

xx_orex_xx Embryo

Yes Im able to care for an adult burm. I have the money to build a big enclosure or even use my spare walk-in closet if I have to. I'm guessing that you meant when he gets bigger (10'+) to not handle him without another person being there, because I think he's still small enough for just me to handle him alone. And.. im just wondering, what does alcohol do to the snake? i figured i'd ask yall instead of spraying him with it to find out lol... thanks

12. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Correct...when he reaches adulthood there's no way you can handle him on your own. 11' and 12' Burms have killed adult humans before.

Alcohol poured in the face/mouth of a snake that has latched onto you will cause it to release, as will pulling the tail upwards (think folding the tail back on itself but not so far that it injures them).

13. ~}Bastet{~

~}Bastet{~ New Member

And getting him really drunk lol

14. xx_orex_xx

xx_orex_xx Embryo

LoL, yeah I dont think im'a be gettin him drunk.. maybe just a lil' tipsy ;) but thanks for all the help guys. Im new to this site but ill be on here quite a bit.

15. bikiescum2003

bikiescum2003 Embryo

dont be to worried about getting bittin. its like the old saying "you play with fire u will get burnt!" i was bittin by my 9ft python about a month ago because i smelt like mice. he grabed me and didnt let go for a while. the teeth are as sharp as surgical knifes so u dont realy feel them cut into you though i did end up with a couple of stiches. lol but remember times a healer and once you have been biten you will have more respect for them.

16. Danac

Danac New Member

If you get bitten, you will bleed....alot. As for holding and constricting that is another story. Most won't because their bite directed at you is a defensive thing, a warning so to speak. That is not to say holding and constriction won't happed. At least one person in the U.S. is killed annually by their pet python. I have a 8' Boa which I don't handle without some one else around just in case.
    Have ever tried to make a snake go back into a cage when it doesn't want to?.....a big snake?

17. xx_orex_xx

xx_orex_xx Embryo

Well.. if you consider my 5'7 burm big... then yeah.. sometimes.. ill be putting him in there.. he just climbs up my arm if he dont wanna go back.. but i get him..