What can I mix in with green tree frogs?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by cbb04c, Aug 25, 2005.

1. cbb04c

cbb04c Embryo

Is there any other frogs or lizards that I can mix in with green tree frogs. I have a semi-aquatic terarrium with a good filter, water heater, and basking light. With a good amount of lands. Thanks for the help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

The answer is nothing. You should never mix species. It will lead to way to many problems and death.

1) Your frog will get very stressed out with competition for food around. The stress can lead to poor health or even death

2) If your frog is healthy, and you put another animal in there with a disease or parasite, your frog will surely get it and will either become very sick, or die

3) Stress Stress Stress. Frogs are solitary animals, even with another green tree frog in the tank, both of the frogs could get stressed out and die.

4) A small tank, or any tank for that matter, is just way to small of a recreation of nature to house competeing species togehter. Alot of mixing is done with species that would never coexist in the first place.

5) It is just your selfish want to see different species together. If you really care about the animals, you will not mix species. Why risk the lives of your pets just to satisfy your selfish wants.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cbb04c

cbb04c Embryo

maybe thats true but I have heard of many people mixing species as long as the tank is large enough and has the proper filtration.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

well yeah, you could toss in a few emperor scorpions in there if you really wanted to, but is it recomended . . . no.

~Will.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 New Member

I have Barking tree frogs and Green Tree fogs living together in the same set up but as far as i know they have always lived together. They are also of comparible size -both species being in the 2" adult size range.Right now the Barking are just 4 month babies. The Greens are 6 months and 2 year olds. The parents to the Barkings went to another home before I was aware of their need for placement or I'd have taken those too. I am told that Grey's Tree frogs are very compatible with Green Tree frogs and Barkings. The folks that have these together have had them for over 10 years.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. teh_angry_g00se

teh_angry_g00se New Member

hermit crabs

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It is technically possible to house certain species together. Especially if they are of comparable size and need similar housing requirements. But it is never recommended because of the cross-contamination of disease, possible aggression (this can be an individual thing and not common to the species), and can cause stress in the animals, especially animals that are already established in the enclosure. All this can happen regardless of the amount of space. If you really want more than one animal in a cage, then I'd stick with another green tree frog about the size of the one you have now. But only if you have a fairly large cage. It's simply a case of responsible husbandry to try to keep species separated in captivity. Not saying that it's irresponsible to mix them, but the amount of research and development that goes into the proper enclosure for multiple species is extreme. I know that people house animals for years together without problems and that's great, and as was mentioned above, some people get their animals that way in establish groups. So yes, it's possible, could it be dangerous, definitely. I highly recommend that you leave an established tank alone and if you want new animals, then set up a new viv for them on their own.

13. jami

jami Member

green tree frogs and the greys are cousins if not brothers so they are good together mine are anyhow and they are together in the wild i got all mine from work

14. Dex

Dex Embryo

I would get another (or more) of the same species of frog... green tree frogs do well in groups. ive got five frogs living together in one tank... only be sure that they are all able to eat.

15. mhwc56

mhwc56 New Member

GTFs really like company of their own kind. I strongly suspect that they actually become attached to certain individuals too because I had to seperate some of mine and put them in another habitat. They called constantly to each other from across the house. I felt so guilty! I felt like I had broken up best friends .... Definitely try just more GTFs together. It will make them very happy.