Water not growing?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Chi_Monitors1317, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Chi_Monitors1317

Chi_Monitors1317 New Member

Hello and Thank You for looking at my post.
    I have had a water monitor for about 10 months now. I bought him as a new hatchling. My water is about 26 inches from head to tail, Is this normal or should it be longer? Here are the questions I have about my water. How do I find out its sex. How long does it take for its hemipenes to release if it is a male? What are some signs of it being a female? Could it be because its housed in a 75 gallon tank that it is only 26 inches long? Which I will be setting my water up in a 240 gallon tank on march 17th that I just ordered from glasscages.com it is 96x24x25 witch will be fine for maybe a year or so. Is it possible to stunt there growth because he or she was in the 75 gallon for 10 months? Witch I dont want to happen!!! I have been walking it around in a monitor harness for about 3 months now. Will I be able to walk my water around when he /she is full grown? My water is super tame. I have put a lot of patience and time taming him/her. I will post some pictures of my enclosure for my water and I will have pics of my water for all viewers to enjoy. Tell me what you think of my monitor. Over all I love working with monitors they are wonderful hope you have fun with yours! If you have any pics of yours especially adult water monitors please show me? I have been dying to see one!! Thank You Much!!!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Chi_Monitors1317

Also my water is a great eater I now feed it 2 dozen crickets a week along with 2 large mice. Should I feed my water more?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

I dont really have any experince with water monitors but your monitor is way to big for the tank its in!That might be the problem why its not growing because it has no room!
    You will be able to walk it on a harness but I wouldn't reccommend around a ton of people though.
    Maybe add superworms to its diet..But its good that your getting alarger terrerium!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Chi_Monitors1317

no! I would never take my water around a group of people. I will try the super worms how many should i give him a week?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PitsNherps

Okay..You can probably give him 100 a week

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Chi_Monitors1317

12. Chi_Monitors1317

13. Chi_Monitors1317

Here are some pics of the 75 gallon and me ane my water hope you like them. Tell me what you think. Also the pics on top are his caring cage for the summer so I can bring him outside. The wire is coated with some type of rubber it is 30x30x36.

14. Chi_Monitors1317

The wood is a huge piece of grape vine with a huge hide spot and a water fall in critter cage water bowl.

15. Chi_Monitors1317

Heated by one 100 watt heet glo (red) on left side and one 50 watt heat glo (blue) on right side with a 48 inch long 5.0 balb for the coloring of his/her skin.

16. Chi_Monitors1317

Also there are madagascar hissing cockroaches along with crickets in grape vine log.

17. PitsNherps

Wow hes beautiful! How many cockroaches do you feed him a week?Superworms are higher in fat than crickets so they might be better.

18. beezneez

beezneez Member

Awesome monitor!

19. cracka350z

cracka350z New Member

hes a fatty lol. mine was a bit smaller but i had him in a 55.

20. Chi_Monitors1317

to:pitznherpsHe/She is not really interested in roaches he will eat them as he/she pleases because there in the grape vine log.to:thank you beezneez. To:cracka350z thank you my water is a very good eater.
    DOES MY WATER MONITOR LOOK THE RIGHT SIZE AT THIS AGE?

21. PitsNherps

I think he looks fine for his age!Silk worms and horn worms are expensive they are high in fat lol you could but him some of those.But you probably dont want to fatten to much before he moves into his new home.
    But he looks awesome!

22. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Nice bathtub.

23. wschippr

wschippr New Member

He did not look fat or anything to me. Make sure you do not become dependent on rodents, unless you intend exercise him a lot. But there is not really any guide to how much you should feed your monitor just watch his weight and act accordingly to his needs. No it is a myth that reptiles grow to the size of their enclosure, you cannot stunt them with vivarium size. Also remember that most animals grow the fastest when young so it should be expected that it will slow down in its growth rate. They can grow up to 3 metres although around 2 is more likely and you said that yours was around 0.6 so it should start to slow down.

24. Chi_Monitors1317

pitznherps thank you im not worried about the price and thanx for all your info if you know any one that has adult pics please show me.

25. Chi_Monitors1317

wschippr What do you mean it will slow down you mean his growth because I want a full grown monitor. but thanx for your info.