Water Dragon tail regrowth.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Mebvis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Mebvis

Mebvis Embryo

Hello everyone, I have a very young water dragon that once had a broken tail. The tail was also infected so i brought him or her to the vet. They had to amputate a portion of the tail and he was put on anti biotics for 2 weeks. Then recently, about a month after the procedure a black shiny spot appeared on his tail, and in the last week has slightly grown. I found iguana regrowth pictures that look very simular to my water dragon.
    http://www.smithway.org/igsite/newtail.html

Now i have read that water dragons tails do not regrow and i have also read about water dragons that have regrown their tails. My vet said it would not. I would like some more solid info on the tail regrowth.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

The little black shiny spot (assuming its on the end of the tail) is likely the tail starting to grow again.

Water dragon tails usually do regrow...however ones that are amputated sometimes don't and I think some broken ones don't too depending on where the break occurs.

Regrown tails never look identical to the original tail though....you will always know where it was broken.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Water dragon tails do not grow back completely. They might grow an inch but hats about it. and on a side note the iguanna tails growing back looking like scorpion stingers.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Mine WD'S tail broke off atleast TWICE and this time is is very, very succesful. It has by now grown approximentally 1 1/2 inces (or even more)! Hoping the stub thing won't break off again like the other times.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

Sorry but, how does this happen to your WD? I couldn't let that happen :?

12. Mebvis

Mebvis Embryo

Well apparently some people believe that water dragons tails do not regrow. I can say that in the past 3 weeks my lizards tail has grown about 4 cm from the stub. This proves that they do regrow. I dont know why people especially a vet would just asume they dont regrow. Thankfully it appears they are wrong and my wd is healthy.

13. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Thats wonderful, but be careful... the way part of my WD's tail fell off was because I was holding him and I ran my hand down is body since I was petting him/ comfurting him (atleast I thought!) and all of a sudden about 3 inches of his tail just plop off! I started crying, and then he sorta started to bleed. So I got him a tissue ASAP and then every thing was okay I guess you could say. But that was a little bit over a year ago that this accured. So never run your hand on/past your waterdragon's tail if you may think he/she could be frightened.