Want a boa, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Janice, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I have it narrowed down to a Colombian Rainbow Boa or an Amazon Tree Boa. I want something that isn't going to get huge, that has a reasonable temperament, and that will eat rats eventually. It doesn't necessarily have to be a handleable snake.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. zakkyz

zakkyz New Member

I just ordered a Pastel x Hogg from www.trivalleyconstrictors.com
    It wont get too big and is really pretty. I havnt got it yet because it is still a newborn... Looking forward to its arrival. You can see pics of availible babies on the website

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. butterfly1979

butterfly1979 New Member

I second Zak's suggestion. He is a great breeder and has some beautiful snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

Those snakes you mentioned are not really for begginers. Tree Boas have a nasty bite and require very specific humitity and temps. Some are very hard to feed. Rainbows can be a little pricey.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Yea.... Janice I don't want to hurt your feelings but I believe you need to think on it for a while before you get a big snake.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zakkyz

zakkyz New Member

thank you butterfly for the tip to Trivalleyconstrictors. Beautiful snakes indeed. Check it out Janice. Great guy to do business with as well

12. liza714

liza714 Member

Ok I am obviously partial to Rainbow Boas but I am wondering why you would want a colombian over a brazilian? All the colombians I have seen (a whooping 3) have lost their pattern and turned brown at adulthood. Brazilians tend to hold onto their striking pattern better. Now ATBs are gorgeous, no doubt about it, but I have heard they are picky eaters which my BRB isnt. Once I got Cabo's humidity/temp requirements down pat he is the easiest nicest snake I have ever had. I have read repeatedly that the babies tend to be "nippy" but I got Cabo at 27" and he has never even tried to bite me. Not even when I take him out of his feeding tank! On the other hand I also wouldn't recommend a BRB as a first snake but I am relatively confident that most ATB owners wouldn't recommend them for even a second or third snake LOL

13. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

Both require good amount of humidity in the cage. And as far as temperment goes, ATB is probably the worst temperament. I went to a past show, saw four, and when i looked at the container they striked. But I would still get an ATB over a CRB anyday because i like arboreals. You need gloves when handling though, lol.

14. Janice

wreckwriter, You are not hurting my feelings, that's why I asked for opinions. I googled these 2 snakes, and the info I got said they wouldn't get bigger than 5 feet. Good grief, I don't want a big snake, but I want another snake, and I don't know what to get. You guys know I'm still a beginner. I want to get away from mice, and want a couple more rat-eating snakes. Any suggestions???

15. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I'm just concerned because I get the impression from the tick thread that you and your husband are both nervous about getting bit by your corn. I wonder how you'll be with a snake that's capable of putting a real bite on you... 5 feet long is going to be as big around as your forearm with a mouth that opens as big as your hand.

16. Janice

We were told the corn snake bites. The corn snake we've had a few weeks, and are not familiar with what his temperament is like. If I get a boa, I would want a baby, and then I would know the snake, by the time it got to be 5 feet long. What do you suggest? Maybe I'll just buy another ball python.....

17. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

All snakes should be considered as animals that bite. I've had my boa since he was a worm and he only bit me once, once was enough. I got complacent because he was so gentle and then I screwed up and he bit the snot out of me. It happens. Getting bitten is part of snake ownership.

I suggest something mellow and not so large, have you thought about Rosy or Rubber boas?

18. Janice

yes, I have thought of getting a rosy. Considered it a lot, actually. Thanks wreckwriter, for talking me out of doing something stupid. You read the majority of my posts when it comes to snakes, so I can trust your judgement. I think I'll be on the hunt for a rosy boa!

19. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

20. Janice

Thanks!!!

21. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

No problem! that first one is a huge site with all sorts of Rosy related info.

22. Janice

can rosy boas eat pinky rats when they are bigger?

23. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Almost certainly yes.

24. Janice

Are rubber boas pretty cool too?

25. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Rosys are prettier and more likely to eat well.