Uros eyes puff up and then a membrane comes across eye??

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by sdcrnjd, Aug 1, 2007.

1. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My son's Uromastyx was recently transplanted from my son's father's house to our house...so he is relatively new to me. He recently started having an issue that my son says he's never had. His eyes puff up and he closes them and then when he opens them it looks as if his eye recedes a bit back and then a red and white membrane crosses from the corner of his eye outward onto his eye...then when he blinks it bulges out a little and then goes back into the corner of his eye and disappears. It does this on both sides and it's intermittent...usually after he wakes up in the morning...but it was also doing it this evening. He appears to be sleepy or zoned out when it happens...but if I look at him or offer him food he snaps out of it and his eyes appear to go back to normal. Has anyone had any experience w/this phenomenon? Thanks for any help. sdc

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

Is he in the process of shedding? If not, have you tried eye drops? They may be irritated, or have something caught in it?, what substrate is he on?
    another thing you can try if you havnt already, is try supplimenting him with a vitamin AC&E, Ive used this on one of my lizards which appeard to have an eye problem, and it cleared up in no time. As sometimes they can become defficiant in vitamin A&E.
    Thats just a few suggestions, but ive never kept a uro before, so im sure someone with proper uro knowledge can come up with a better explanation :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Hi, thanks for the response. He's on reptile carpet now - as of yesterday actually...b/c we thought the sand might be irritating his eyes...also the reptile vet told us to take him off the sand and use carpet b/c of impaction risk. He does get vitamin supplements...After doing some research I think he may have a respiratory infection or something like that. I'm taking him to see an exotic animal vet today to get treatment. I'll make a post this evening to share what the vet says. Thanks so much for your help!! sdc

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

The reptile vet said that sometimes their eyes do what I described above when they are dehydrated or sick from some type of infection. Jeffrey's belly was really full of undigested food, gas, and possibly sand...so she gave me two medicines to help boost his immune system (probiotics) and also something to help him digest his food. She felt he may not be getting enough dark greens and protein in his diet...She also advised me to keep him away from sand substrate entirely, and to get an infrared temp gun to make sure his cage is 75 degrees at night; 85 degrees in the cool side of his cage during the day, and 95-98 degrees in the hot side...with his basking rock staying at at 110-120. She also told me to always keep all fecal matter washed off of him with warm water...b/c when it stays on their skin it causes infections. She also told me to make sure there was no clear plastic shield covering his UVB light (it blocks too many of the rays they need)...and to replace that bulb at least every year...To make sure his basking light is no closer than 8" to his body b/c it might burn him otherwise.

Foods she suggested were a variety of the following: kale, collards, peas, edamame (or soy), beans (softened), lentils (softened), dandelion greens, cilantro, basil, italian parsley, nasturtiums, rose petals, millet - 2-3x week (about 1" pieces), cooked squash, cooked sweet potato. She said not to give him superworms or crickets from the pet store...that an occasional bug is okay but he needs to get most of his protein from beans/soy etc...She also said to sprinkle CA & D powder on his food 2x a week (but no more b/c they can overdose), and multivitamin powder on there once a week. Hope this info helps someone...it sure helped us. :) sdc

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Well, they do have a "3rd" eyelid like bearded dragons do. It is basically a thin, white membrane that closes over the eye at time. It protects their eyes, probably came down from evolution from living in desert regions.
    I do agree though, with no sand substrates. Living in captivity, it is too dirty & dusty & too many chances for impaction.
    I would be careful if you do decide to supplement with vitamin A. Once a month, as it is extremely easy to Overdose on vitamin A. It can cause alot of complications.
    The calcium however, you should supplement with that 3-4 times weekly, if you have a baby, just for good strong bones. You can add the vitamin D3 in a few times a week as well, especially if you are just using a flourescent bulb.
    His basking should be upwards to 120 most times, with a cooler area around 85 or so. They need it quite hot. That will help him if he does have the beginnings of a respiratory infection. I would do more like 115-120.
    It sounds like your vet was one of the few who actually knows something about reptiles!

Tracie

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

RE: Hello

Hi! Thanks for your help..The vet agrees w/you on the closer to 120 temp...She said most people keep their uros too cold. We have a UVB light to help prevent metabolic bone disease...I hear that's very important...I woke up this morning and Jeffrey looked like he was trying to clear something from his lungs (worse than before)..he was lethargic and his eyes looked worse also...all of this usually clears by late morning...but I went ahead and called the vet back. She wanted to observe him for the day so he's in the day hospital now. She said she may give him a shot for inflammation/pain. I'll post later regarding what the vet says about his condition. Thanks again, sdc

12. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Update on 2nd vet visit: Jeffrey was given antibiotic eyedrops and also antibiotic nasal drops, as well as a steroid shot for the inflammation in his eyes. He also received a shot of antibiotics that will stay in his system for a few days until we can get all his cultures back to determine a more specific antibiotic for his infection. I had to push a little for the shot of antibiotics...I didn't want to take him home w/o any systemic antibiotics again. The vet agreed that it was appropriate though. I'm hopeful that he will recover now. I hope this info helps someone else. sdc

13. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Vet visit 3: last evening the vet called and said Jeffrey also had worms...So we had to take him back in today to start his 4-part worming series. Good times for Jeffrey. Good news is he's feeling a little better today. I think the antibiotics & anti-inflammatory injections did the trick. s

14. redzombie40

redzombie40 New Member

thats good that things are starting to look better, post some pics when hes all healthy. =]

15. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Glad to hear you have gotten Jeffrey on medication now. So, he had an eye infection & worms then?
    How are the temps coming along now?
    I hope he is feeling better now. Keep us posted.

Tracie

16. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Hi, things have changed a bit. Jeffrey's labs came back the day before yesterday, and he had 3 nasty bacteria present in the culture. So he basically has a systemic bacterial infection. The vet said this happens when their cage is not cleaned out w/a bleach and water solution on a regular basis...In other words the bacteria came from his poop growing things in his cage like a petri dish. His GI track and his eyes have some infection in them....and he also has worms to top it all off. So we went back to the vet and got another antibiotic injection yesterday. They taught me how to give him injections and he will now get an antibiotic injection every 3 days for 21 days...that along with his daily eye & nose drops, and his two daily oral meds. The vet also told me to clean his cage out thoroughly with a bleach & water solution at least once a week. SO, the best advice I can give anyone out there is keep those cages and uros CLEAN....and pay attention to their behavior...if they start acting differently it may be b/c they are in the early stages of illness...if you think they are in the slightest, then get them to the vet!! Otherwise your Uro (and you) will be in for a hard ride...and it's not fun to see them sick like this...Thankfully Jeffrey is doing a little better...We'll keep working hard to get him well. I'm wishing I had had more education on these guys earlier...So hopefully these posts will help someone else. sdc

17. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

How do you post pictures? s

18. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

I figured it out :(

19. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

[​IMG]

This is Jeffrey

20. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

[​IMG]

21. Nines

Nines Member

That is a good looking Uro you have there. I hope all goes well.

You posted a great point. We're all here to learn from each other, and to share what knowledge we have. Because of some of the people on this site, my uro Nines is in much better shape than he'd be in if I had listened to what the guy at Petco told me. I learn something new here all the time. :)

22. sdcrnjd

sdcrnjd Embryo

Thanks, I totally agree. There is not a lot of information around on these guys. The blogs have really helped me too. Thanks for the post. sdc