Tokay help... =(

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Collard, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Collard

Collard Member

We rescued a Tokay today from somebody who obviously didn't know anything about them. He walks very strange, but as little as possible. He doesn't try to be aggressive although the people we took him from said he used to be very very aggressive. He acts like his bones are tight or almost non-existent. He sometimes climbs around but very rarely. There is no excess skin on his feet, his eyes are clear. He has been defecating but the people we got him from said he never ate. Please help, we have no vet that accepts reptiles around us and I don't want to lose him. He is extremely skinny. I bought some R Zilla Caloric Supplement today. Is there any other advice anybody out there can give me. Please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. OrcaManic

OrcaManic Member

If you can't go to a vet, try starting with wax worms. They are high in fat and most geckos readily eat them. Fluker's makes Repta-Aid that should help with the dehydration and food strike. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Collard

Collard Member

Thanks, we have some of the repta-aid, and will try to get some in his mouth. We tried meal worms, but they just seemed to crawl out of reach. He seems to just grab at what he can reach...he changes locations probably once a day. I know it says in basic care that UV lights are not necessary...should we put one on him for a while, at least to see if he'll regain strength. How would you suggest getting his mouth open? I used my finger nail and rubbed it lightly against his mouth crevasses, but the jaw's didn't budge. they're like steel....I didn't want to hurt him.... especially if he has fragile bones...I don't want to break his jaw... ;)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you've rescued him. Ok, have you tried any other food items? It could be a case of MBD. Do you have any pics? If he doesn't eat, you may have to try the slurry. See if he will eat live food items wilingly first though.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Collard

Collard Member

slurry? We put about 10 crix in the tank, and they're all gone. And he's gone to the bathroom a couple times. So I'm guessing he's eating. He doesn't move around much...i see him switch positions about once a day. We have a UVB light on him this morning so hopefully that will help. We bought some Caloric supplement to give him but i can't get his mouth open.... He has jaws of steal

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

That is the on thing about tokays I have noticed over the years, is that if they don't want to open their mouth, have fun trying. Same as if they are hanging off your arm, it is impossible to get them off. I would try dusting his crickets with calcium. It does sound like he may have a case of MBD.