Tips on Tameing ?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by MichaelM, Mar 20, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Anybody have any suggestions on trying to tame my 3 month old crestie? Everytime i go to try to handle it just trys to run away ad sometimes gets away but sometimes i catch it.. what do you suggest? thanks

edit: also what ways can i tell if my crestie has ate some babyfood? and how do i feed the cgd? Sometimes i put a little of it on a food dish in the cage and sometimes i mix with the babyfood. what u think?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

wait until it gets around 6 or 7 months, then it will start taking babyfood. the crested gecko diet can be fed like they say on the bottle, or you can mix it with a fruit babyfood. the cresties seem to really like that. a 3month old crestie should be skittish that is a sign its healthy. i would give it a little more time and then try to handle it slowly. put a piece of clothe with your scent in its tank and it will get used to your scent

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

does this mean no baby food at all yet? just cricketS?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

Baby food

My crestie's about the same age as yours. He'll lick baby food off my finger. I occassionally mix the cgd with the baby food but I gut load my crickets so I know he's getting nourishment. Mine likes baby mangos but not peaches. I can tell he's been eating the baby food because there are indents in the food.

I found that when I first held my crestie if I kept my finger anywhere near his back (very lightly of course) he would squirm. So when I just let him lay on my hands and walk from hand to hand, he was calm. I can tell when he's going to jump so all I do is just angle my hand and then he starts to climb again. He's a good boy :)
    Good eater too!

Becca

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Re: Baby food

The Indents could have also been from your crickets walking over it or your crickets eating it because i see mine doing it. I gutload my crickets n all to but i was just wondering. How often do you feed your crestie, whats your feeding schedule?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

Feeding

You might be correct on the indents being caused by the crickets. I have yet to see him eat the mangos except off my fingers. I put a little bit of baby food in his tank every night. I put about 3 crickets in his tank before I go to bed. When I'm able to watch him hunt, I add about 2 more for a late night snack. He's been eating almost everynight that I can tell.

I think I've read that they don't eat as much as they get older but someone with more experience could probably answer that one better. So I guess my feeding schedule is everyday unless I can find left over crickets.

Have you ever bought crickets at a pet store and had them dusted at the pet store? I did on Saturday and Sunday morning, they were all dead. I was a bit upset :evil: since I live 30 minutes from the pet store.

Becca

12. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Re: Feeding

lol yea the pet store asked me if I wanted them to dust them i said na i could do it myself. But i still keep them and mine are more then healthy at home. I have about 3-4 dozen in a little cricket keeper with gutload in there a sponge absorbed with water and egg crate and a empty paper towl holder and they last me about 2-3 weeks