Temperment of Blood Pythons

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by amh01, Jul 30, 2007.

1. amh01

amh01 Embryo

Hello, I have a bearded dragon, leopard gecko, and ball python already and now am looking to add another, larger, snake into my colony. I really love the marking and thickness of the blood python and have been reading a lot of them and they seem relatively simple to care for. The only thing that worries me is the temperment. I hear that they are rather snappy snakes and are not docile at all. Is this true? Ofcourse I understand that no snakes are completely tamed...but I still want something that I can handle.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. geckopimp

geckopimp Embryo

well ill put it this way,when i went to get mine i handled it for 15-20 min,she acted like a ball,just wraping around my arm,and hanging out,so i buy her get it home put it in the tank,maybe 2 hrs later i go to pick it up to show a friend, and i hear hissing and shes ready to strike,shes been that way ever since :D,but from what i hear they calm down alot when they get bigger(mines about 3 ft),so long story short: i have an awesome looking snake that doesnt like to be touched,hope i helped,let me know if you need to know anything else

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

not all of them calm down as they get bigger...a friend of mine has an adult male and he(the friend) can't even put his hand in the cage to clean/give water without being struck at.

bloods are very temperamental..you might get lucky to find one thats somewhat calm and tame but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

regards,
    Dreamer

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I agree, it's pretty hard to find laid back bloods or short-tails... both of mine aren't bad once they're out, but picking them up or getting them out is normally a challenge... and if something upsets them, it's just their first response to bite... and that's what makes balls so great, because they don't generally associate biting with defense like some other species - BUT of course, that's not always the case either... :wink: