Tank Size?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by boygman, Dec 24, 2004.

1. boygman

boygman Embryo

i got 2 smal iguanas (about a foot each maybe) and i have them in a 30 gallon and i was planning to get them a tank for more room...whats a good size...i was thinking a 40 gallon

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dan420

dan420 Member

Get the biggest tank you can afford, and personnally i would serparate them. You will eventually need to build them a custom enclosure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. boygman

boygman Embryo

they'll get separated when their older...but for now their just babies and i dont see any harm in keeping them together

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You're better off building a custom enclosure. We've got a young female iguana that's about 18" long right now, including the tail. Once it warms back up outside again in a coupla weeks, she'll be getting a 4' cube to live in for a while.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. boygman

boygman Embryo

well i live in michigan...and michigan is no place for an outside enclosure cuz theres rats/cats/coldness/dogs/and my mentally retarded neighbors to worry about...i feel safer with them inside even if a outside enclosure is better

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Still, even with an indoor enclosure, you're better off building your own.

12. dan420

dan420 Member

Axe, since iggy's require high humidity, with an outdoor enclosure, how can you maintain a high humidity? I understand you living in Florida...you always have pretty high humidity, but i mean in another place, wouldnt it just be easier to maintain humidity in an indoor enclosure?

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

That depends on the place :(

Iguanas are happily living in the wild here in Florida, so they can tolerate the climate here just fine. In other areas it may be a little difficult, but not impossible. How you would set it up would depend entirely on the location.

For us, it's easier to maintain adequate temperature, humidity & UVB exposure outdoors. For others it may not be.

14. aguila

aguila New Member

I previously bought an enclosure off of a guy who had it custom made by a local pet shop for his iguana, but when the iguana(male) got older and they couldn't even feed it without getting nipped at or tail whipped he got rid of the iguana and sold me the enclosure it measures 4'x2'x4' you can see a pic of it here if you want some ideas:

PIC 1
    PIC 2

It makes a really nice indoor enclosure but the humidy was always around upper 50's to 60's to high for my berdie, so for christmas my parents were kind enough to get me a 40gal breeder, and now I can free up this enclosure for some snakes I have been wanting to get.

ps. I didn't build this enclosure so please don't ask me how to make it.

15. TerroristCareBear

TerroristCareBear Embryo

thats a cool tank setup. when my iguanas get older im planning on making something of that sort. what did you put on the bottom of it and how dod you put a light on?

16. aguila

aguila New Member

I use non-adhesive shelf liner as the substrate and the top is about 1/4 wire screening to place the lights on

17. dan420

dan420 Member

Is it just melamine(sp?)? It looks like it is, and if so, then it must be pretty heavy, right?

18. aguila

aguila New Member

I have been told its melamine but am not 100% certain, I don't know what it weighs but I was able to push it up a flight of stairs by myself I'd say at most its 100 lbs

19. aguila

aguila New Member

here is another enclosure that was posted on this site again for ideas

iguana tank