So I think they are tree-frogs

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by jayhay, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

So, I am pretty sure that Tic and Tac are green tree frogs. So I am trying to find a good care sheet for them. Any suggestions? So far I am thinking that I will make them a planted 20g for when they are adults (with a water fall and pond), but for now they are in a 12x12x12 exo-terra with paper towel, fake plants and a very shallow water dish (like 1/4" deep). They are super small right now (they can sit on a penny - the store raised them from eggs) so I am not sure if there is anything special I need to do. I am readying mixed things on heating too. Some caresheets say heat and others say not to, but none of them give any specific temps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

Your set up sounds good. Pictures wouldn't hurt. :) Temps should be around 68-75°F for Green Tree Frogs. Try calling the store and see if they know what type of frogs they are. Might not be terribly reliable, but it's worth a try. Stormphyre and I haven't been able to agree on what they are yet. :) If you could get pictures from other angles, that might help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I emailed the store and I am told that they are green tree frogs. I searched these and the the babies do look a lot like the pics I am finding on-line (just soooo much smaller!). They are a lot greener now that they have settled into they cage (maybe they were lighter yesterday b/c of the stress?).

They are the sweetest little things though :) Thanks for the temp range, my crestie room is right in that range so I guess that I will not need any additional heating. I just took a few more pics, I will post them when they finish uploading.

One more question - can they be handled or is their skin to delicate. They are both quite tame and they readily climb onto my hand, is this ok or should I limit handling?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Their cage until they get bigger!
    [​IMG]

Tic on my hand
    [​IMG]

Tac on my hand
    [​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lestat

lestat Moderator

You shouldn't handle them much. Frogs absorb everything through their skin, including the oils from our hands, or whatever residues might remain (soap, hand lotion, chemicals, etc). Another really big issue with handling them is, frogs jump... sometimes very far and for no reason, making it very easy for them to get lost or injured or even killed. However, if you handle them occasionally so they stay somewhat tame, it'll make things easier when you need to do health checks or treat them in the future if a problem should arise. When you do handle them, just make sure you are very careful.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Gourami_Swami

Gourami_Swami New Member

They are soooo cute! Your lucky to get such small ones. Room temperature should be okay for em. Good luck!

12. merebear843

merebear843 Embryo

The frogs are adorable!

13. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Jayhay those are adorable! I've been reading more on treefrogs in general but Tic and Tac have made me look more closely at green tree frogs.

14. Tokage

Tokage Member

awwww they are adorable! :)