snow corn regurgitating

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by ucaqt, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I have a snow corn I got back in Aug. He ate just fine until the middle of sept. when he regurgitated 2 days after eating. I waited a week then fed him again. He regurged 5 days later. He did fine through october, but now this week he reguritated again. I took a stool sample to the vet 2 weeks ago and there were no parasites. He has plenty of hides. cool side of terrarium is about 75 and a hot spot of 86. There as been no handling to cause him to regurg. I handle him on the 4th day, to the 6 or 7th, after eating and then only for 15 min or so. then feed again. He doesn't look like he is loosing any weight, but he also hasn't shed either. He is 5 months old. Any suggestions on how to keep food down him?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SCSnakeman

SCSnakeman Embryo

Do you have any hides in the cage? If not, put at least two in there, one on the cool side and one on the warm side. How long is the lights on in his room? If they are on all day, try giving him 12 hours or so of darkness. You can do this by covering up the cage. Let us know if any of this helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Double check your temps and if you dont already have one, get a digital thermometer or temp gun. Something you may also want to add is a heat pad for belly heat. Make sure the cage is off in a spot that doesnt have a lot of traffic around and leave the snake alone. You may consider doing a 50/50 mix with water and clear pedialyte in the water bowl to help the snake with rehydrating. Wait approx 14 days and offer a SMALL prey item, something about half the size of what you would normally offer. Try that and let us know how it goes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

He has plenty of hides and he has light on him for about 12 hours then a red night light at night. I have a digital therm. It's just my husband and I in the house and the snakes are in the spare bedroom. Do you know anything about grape fruit seed extract being added to the water? I thought I read that somewhere. I need to look that up again. I'll try the pedialyte.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

Heres a link to the Grapefruit Seed Extract.... http://www.reptilerooms.co.uk/Sections+ind...-43-page-1.html

Typically if the regurg is coming so long after the feeding day it's because of temperatures being too low. What happens is the prey does not get digested fast enough because of the low temps and basically rots in the snake. There is a possiblity of some type of blockage in the snake.

Has the snake defacted recently?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

on few of the regurgs it could be possible that he hadn't defacated. I know he hardly ever comes out from hiding even in the middle of the night. I usually have to bring him out and get him moving around then he will do his stuff. Should I ad more heat to him at night. he is on a 60 watt red bulb which keeps his temp around 73 directly underneath it is 76. I don't like UTH. Even with air flow under the tank, like 2 " I have had tanks crack and the dresser burn. That is with the control and set about 75. I just haven't had good luck with them. What I thought about doing was using a human heating pad and placing that under the tank. That would add so belly heat. But what I don't understand, is my temps are really consistent, why does he only do it sometimes. The pinkies are small enough for him.

12. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I think that he has a problem digesting. I raised his night temp and provided him with belly heat. His temp in the hot is almost 90, but his cool side is still 78. At night he has the belly heat and a night light which keeps the air temp at 75. heat pad is 86. I fed him half a pinky and you couldn't even tell that there was anything in him. I thought he would be just fine with that. I checked on him at 12am before going to bed and watched him regurg it. The pinky was half way digested and smelled really bad. That was a 2 days regurg. I would have expected it to be more digested. He drank some water then went back to hiding. He hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 weeks, but nothing has stayed down him either. I noticed, since I can see through him, that he has a green blob in the lower portion of his body. Normal, infection or blockage? We are going to the vet this week.

13. SCSnakeman

SCSnakeman Embryo

He needs to see the vet.

14. stormyva

Definitely a vet call! The sooner the better by the sounds of it.

15. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

Well I went the vet. Two fecal exams later. My snake has strongles, for those who don't know they are a worm. Gave him a dose of panacur and he should be just fine. Thanks for your help. Oh and by the way the green blob in the lower portion of his body was his gall bladder. Don't I feel dumb. I fed him on the 18th and he kept everything down. Hopefully a start to keeping it down, all the time now.

16. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

My little guy is doing much better. He holds all his food down and is very active now.

17. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he's doing better...thanks for the update.

18. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Good deal Glad to hear it.