Snake Rack in Progress - Dial up = no

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by iLLwiLL, Nov 10, 2005.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

first, dont mind the messy shop, i only clean up after i get everything done and out the door. this is the new rack i'm building out of 1/2" plywood (hardware store was out of mdf) and so far i like how its turning out.

heres the shell, i cut a bunch of holes with a jig saw for vents . . . because i wanted too.
    [​IMG]

these are the vents i made from hardware cloth i spray painted black, they would be installed right now, but my mother came ito the shop and stole my stapler!!!
    [​IMG]

next is the shelves, no biggie.
    [​IMG]

now for my custom tubs!! i painted the tops with that krylon plastic paint, it came out great . . . are those hinges?
    [​IMG]

yup, they are. had exactally enough of these hinges just lying around so i put them to good use.
    [​IMG]

i wish i could have gotten bigger tubs, but these should get me by untill i finally get around to making my stack of 5x2 cages. after they're built, i'll either sell these, or keep them around for Dumeril's babies. i'll get more pics after its done and all sanded (again), painted, wired up, and mabye even inhabited. all coments welcome :)

~Will.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sycochika

sycochika New Member

Very cool. It will be neat to see when it's all finished.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

yea cant wait to see when its finished, but that plywood might warp pretty bad..

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

well, its all finished and in the living room. i took a few pics of it at the shop and my batteries died and my boss doesn't know where trhe charger is. i'll try to get a couple pics with my cell phone up tonight of my setups.

i really dougt that plywood will warp, not with all the glue, nails, paint, and silicone holding it together. those progress pics really look like crap compared to the finished product.

~Will.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i thought i'd give pulling those pics another shot, and i managed to get a few of them before the batteries went totally dead again. i'm pretty happy with how it came out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Will.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Nice job! Not too shabby will....

12. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

ver nice looking, looks professional... so how much do you want for it :D lol

13. Rocky

Rocky Member

Very nice Will!!! Thanks so much for offering to build me one! So when are you shipping it out? This thursday? :D

14. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

rocky, if your parents want to throw some of that cash they've been spending on your ball morphs my way, i'd be happy to make you a few!!

i'd go broke and insane if i tried to market these. it took me about 3 days to finish, and around $200 alone for materials (including heating, tubs, wood, paint, nailgun brads, latex paint, krylon plastic paint, wire, sand paper, hardware cloth, thermostat, silicone, etc.). i built this guy to familiarize myself with rack systems, and will be using the 41 quart (1960 series) sterilite tubs for my next one. hopefully it'll match up with this one so all my racks are all nice and uniform.

i'll get a pic of my herp wall i have set up in my livingroom soon, its coming along quite nicely. i got that gargoyle gecko octagon cage all setup and just the way i want and its the nicest looking cage i've ever had. i also want to get a stack or 4-5 5x2x1 built next to have some extra space for some adult females i wanna get before next season.

~Will

15. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

cant wait to see your herp wall if it looks anything like your rack lol

16. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i dont really have a herp room . . . yet. i'm just getting going with all this stuff. all i have is this rack, the other cage i built out of an old dresser, and the gecko cage. i also have a 4x2 with the dumerils setup in the livingroom of the house i'm renting. i dont really want to get too many cages built untill i get into my own house and can set up a propper room.

~Will.