size???

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by lisa owens, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

ok i am still doing research so please everyone bare with me about all the questions. i know when i am ready to start getting ready for a new gecko it will be a baby. i have decided on a gargoyle gecko and a screened enclosure. do i need to get a small enclosure since it will be a baby or can i go ahead and get one big enough for when it is grown? this is what i was thinking about any thoughts? Amazon.com: Large Screen Reptile Habitat Cage - U.S.A. made, appx. 36" x 18" x 18": Pet Supplies

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louie

Louie Member

I know nothing about gargoyle geckos but the cage looks great. Compare it to DIY and see which is better built,etc.

I have seen DIY cages for outside chamaleons,etc and love them but the type you linked might be better, I don't know but good to have choices.

http://diycages.com/15201/index.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lisa owens

i think they are the same cage :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lisa owens

i am so confused right now i am a member of another gecko forum and a couple of people said i should not use the cage i have picked out that it will not work for a baby gar because it will not be able to find its food but i plan on feeding it that crestie diet and i thought if it stay in one place it would be able to find it. i bought Toby my leo a tank big enough for him when he is grown i thought i could do the same with the gar am i wrong? what should i do has anyone ever put a baby gar in a large enough tank for when it is grown? please help i am trying to figure out the cost of what i will need when i get one and i feel i am going in circles.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

gargs and cresties are weird. they actually do better in smaller enclosures when they are young and will grow faster. i dont know why since their food is always in the same place and doesnt move. i guess they just cant be normal lol

a kritter keeper or cheap storage bin will work for a few months then you can put it in the adult enclosure. for a baby garg i would try to stay a little smaller than a 10gal

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lisa owens

could i use a medium critter keeper and put a f aux vine in it for it to hide in i talked to a breeder he said i could put it in the enclosure i choose once it was around 4 months Toby was already 4 months when i got him so i guess that is why he does so well in his closure

12. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

sounds perfect

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

The tank that you linked to is a bit overkill.... but that's not a bad thing! I just wouldn't have a garg in that large of a tank as a hatchling.... 36"x18"x18" is 11664 cubic inches.... which is 50.5gallons. A fully adult garg will live perfectly happy in a 15-25 gal tall tank :)
    I know the link not just about a garg but here is an update thread of mine and you can see my garg's setup :) It's just a 26 gallon steralite tub from Walmart, lol. Just make sure you either cut a large hole in the front and screen it or drill TONS of holes!

14. lisa owens

so maybe i should go down a size or two i just want him or her to have the best home possible but maybe i am over doing it?

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If you're on a budget I'd stick with the 20gal tall tank :)

16. lisa owens

17. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

The 20x16x16 one is perfect, the other is nice too, just not totally necessary :) And if you're starting out with a younger garg I would suggest the smaller one. If you're going to keep him in a little rubber-made or steralite tub until he's a little bigger then get whichever one you would like! Just remember they like plenty of things to climb on and hide in at all levels of the tank (ground, back, top, etc.) but still like room to jump so don't overcrowd it when you decorate :)