She's eating herself alive O.O

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ezzi, Sep 30, 2006.

1. baby_gemini

baby_gemini Member

RE: She

ouch that miht be VERY expencive

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iGorx

iGorx Member

xray wont help in any way, xrays are made to scan throught the tissue and musle and find the joints, bones. geckos tails are all fat and tissue, xray could not possibly find anything to fix this issue.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

yeah... and I don't have the money... if it would show what's going on in her tail... and thus save money then it could be worth it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

We've often speculated that the lump is an extra tail...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. baby_gemini

baby_gemini Member

ya ive seen pictures of the tail grown back .. into 2 different sections

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iGorx

iGorx Member

i am not sure if you are even the considering my offer...the offer to go to a good vet and ask him to cut the tail off. if he will and tells you that it wont have any complications then you can go ahead and do it. i DONT see a possible solution to this as its on the inside not on the outside of the tail, its nothing you can fix with neosporin.

call him up and ask about such operation and how much it will cost, i doubt it will be cheap. respond to this if you are considering it

12. sterkrazzy

sterkrazzy New Member

that lump looks really far to the base of his body, that might be a really bad spot to have to cut off up to, or its at least going to be very painful for her

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

When she originally had the tail issue, it didn't fall all the way off? It just sort of split but didn't fall off, then the big bump grew in the split/cut/wound, but her original tail stayed? If that's the case, then the 'bump' is nothing for more than a fat deposit, she tried to grow a new tail but still had her original tail so it just gooshed out the side. That's all I can think of, based on the picture and your description of where the breaks are. Anyway, she does have to go to the vet for care.

14. iGorx

iGorx Member

Re: RE: She

some geckos drop tails all the way to the base, even past the lump in this case. cutting the tail off...will it hurt after? of course it will, the vet will probably give some kind of pain relief, BUT i dont think it can hurt as much as the gecko is hurt now, having half its tail bitten off with an open wound, that hurts just as much

15. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

RE: Re: RE: She

I worry about just cutting it off...

16. iGorx

iGorx Member

you wont be the one doing it, a vet will. look i dont mean to sound mean but it cant get any worse then a half eaten tail, something needs to be done, fast. if it will regrow the gecko will just continue on doing it and stress out. not to mention infection can get into that wound any day and get into its main system and eventually kill him. you came for suggestions and we are giving them to you, in my opinion cutting off the tail it the best option to go as you wont be able to fix whats inside the tail, any obnormal signs. no neosporin will help him or anything outside of the tail, other then kill some bacteria but not 100% of it, the tail will still hurt and it will keep on making the gecko uncomfortable and in pain.

i bet you are worrie, its just that you arent thinking fast, the longer you wait the faster the bacteria will get into the wound if its not already the case

17. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

I would myself be horrified if my leo looked like that, in fact im kind of worried about my leo because i dont know how he is doing... he's living with my bf.. who thank god is good at following instructions... his first leo lived like 2 years.... and from the way he described it it was an infection of some kind... i only hope that your leo survives this... best of luck!

18. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Ezzi: could you please answer clems question: When she originally had the tail issue, it didn't fall all the way off? It just sort of split but didn't fall off, then the big bump grew in the split/cut/wound, but her original tail stayed? If that's the case, then the 'bump' is nothing for more than a fat deposit, she tried to grow a new tail but still had her original tail so it just gooshed out the side.

Did she loose the entire tail last time, or just a small section?

What are you doing in the meantime? Have you tried the other "meds" clem suggested?

19. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

- (#1)it broke as I showed it on the picture, the dotted lines are where they broke, so her tail split and didn't come off. That's basicaly the jist of it (#2)

20. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

What other meds are there?

21. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

22. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I'm sure you've been all over and have been trying what you can, but as some people have said I think you still need a better vet. There must be someone out there who knows what's going on. Also try other forums. Maybe there are people out there who know about this.

I'm not worried about that bump as much.. since you're saying the tail wasn't a clean break it sounds like what Clem said, and the new regen just sort of oozed out the side. The rest of the tail, however is a serious problem. I hope you can keep looking for new vets and new information to help solve the problem. Good luck.

23. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

Yeah... it's just hard because I haven't heard that much of the few others and all of the places I've called to ask to be refered to have pointed me to the 3 that I've seen.

You mean the Silver Sulfadiazine? I clean the 'wound' every other night and put the topical on it (silver sulfadiazine).

24. rachl325

rachl325 New Member

bumpity bump bump

i just read this whole thread, i had to ask...how is this leo doin??????

25. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: She

Again, no bumping. It's becoming a serious problem around here and it's not going to be tolerated.
    And in this case it's not even a bump, so I'm not sure why you even said it.