Savanna/Bosc "puberty"

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by reptileden0, Jan 14, 2012.

1. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Heres an odd subject and I do not not know the answers. Ive never owned a "pubesant" bosc, only juvinile rescues and adult rescues... So here's my questions:
    What attitude changes have you seen, and duration?
    Male vs female "puberty" attitudes?
    Ages of changes.
    How to deal with the attude change.

My cage is 82 ambient, as Toof prefers. Basking is 100..again as Toof prefers. Humidity 60%+(60 is minimum when my house itself is at 15%-we have humidifyers etc running). Misting multiple times daily. Live plants and fake to hide in. Personal cave ..which Toof has been throwing around alot recently. Calcium and vitamin supplements with crustecian diet (shrimp, etc), chicken with fat removed for treats. Daily feedings. Poops about a week apart unless upset then daily with more musc (recently). She uses her poo tub unless musc poops.. again recent change.UVB lighting.
    Vet check healthy.
    Assumably female as no hemi-penines have ever been discovered. Also head smaller than that od any male Ive had. Probing would piss Toof off to no end.
    Age is about a year and a half. Legnth is about 35"..Too crabby to measure right now.
    Fussy about what food she eats right now. Also Toof's handlability is lower. Has been pushy, more huffy, and actually pulled a tail thwap move. Still allows picking up. comes when asked to. No biting but has been using her snout and sensors on lips alot for pushing. and WOW does she hammer her stuffed animals down as if attacking but with out teeth. Toof doesnt snout push me but am leary of her Breeding Grabbing Lee.
    Am I just seeing strange change or is my "puberty" thing on target?
    I want any and all thoughts and expierience on this ! Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Ooh also. theoretically speaking we had a "male" in the house. We had a rooster spend the night on its way to a new home.. This is when Toof started this behavior.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

I was correct on the maturing theory. We had a week of tearing up the cage and musk pooping wherever possible. Phew. The world has calmed down in the enclosure and Toof leveled out well. She now , however, perks at any sign of lee. and does the "interested" body language to him as well as bein pushy a bit untill he sets her strait. I had a boy lizard smell on me recently and had to give her my shirt to examine it. she would nip it lightly and keep moving it around like she expected to find the other lizard under it. This behavior is distinctly different from her hunting behaviors.

Cammy likes this.