RTB looking a little bloated

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Somora, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Somora

Somora Embryo

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everybody, since it's been a while since I was on. Life has been pretty hectic.

I have a 3-4 year old Red-tail named Apophis, who I've personally kept for two years. I've seen her jump from just 4 feet long to a whopping 7' since I've had her. I feed her every other weekend, and around Christmas, I switched from freshly killed to frozen rats. I always make sure to thaw them thoroughly by placing them in a plastic bag and soaking them in hot water over a good portion of the day. She has regular bowel movements, I use repti-bark substrate, and her tank temp gradient is between 76 and 85, and she always has fresh water available. Tonight Apophis was quite eager to eat. I placed the rat in her tank, shut out the light, checked my email, and by the time I was done, the rat was gone and I had one slightly fat and happy snake.

Well, I woke up about 3 hours after feeding her, and heard her making an occasional squeaky noise akin to flatulence. Her breathing seemed normal for having just ate, but her belly seemed a little bigger, and like a concerned mommy, I've been watching her like a hawk.

Now I'm posting for a sanity check, wondering if boas get gas, and if so, if she's in any danger.

I'd be grateful for any information, considering a google search for "boa constrictor indigestion" just turns up results for lyrics to "The Boa Constrictor Ate My Wife Last Night."