Room temp - true?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Belletair, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Let me start off by saying... I'm kinda stupid. I was recommended to check out the Rhacodactylus geckos (by JEFFREH), and I was going... "weird name, never heard of them or seen them before".

And then I found out a Rhacodactylus is a crested gecko. And I felt stupid. >_< XD

Anyway, I started looking into them and found... well, I really like what I'm seeing. They don't look killing hard to maintain (I'm extremely new to lizards, have only had some anoles way back when), and throw in they have some wicked beautiful patterns and I'm really thinking about getting one (or more).

One thing I'm wondering though, is it true they are Okay at room temps? I find that interesting, as most herps tend to need a heat source. Then again, I'm a snake guy not a lizard guy...

Thanks guys.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the lizard world Belletair! Haha =)

What your seeing is true, Crested Geckos (and all Rhacs for that matter) thrive at your typical room temp. In fact, too much heat is a bigger problem than not enough. Generally you want ambient cage temps between 70-78 degrees F, and you definitely don't want ambient temp to be above 85 degrees F without a cooler area to retreat to because these guys stress in temps that are too warm. I know of some breeders in Cali and other areas that maintain their colonies outside and have noted that they perform very well even with evening dips into the 50's (even 40's) as long as the temps can warm back up during the day. They hail from an area that keeps a relatively constant temperature, and being in the rain forest type of habitat they are protected from extreme heat/conditions by the dense forest.

I generally keep mine around 75, with winter temps around 70 or the high 60's. I do choose to use a red bulb for both viewing and to create a sort of basking area that reaches about 85 degrees most times of the year, and I've found that most of mine will utilize the basking spot for brief periods...but it's not necessary and a cooler area in the enclosure is definitely necessary to keep them stress free with a thermal gradient.

These guys are great geckos, and perfect started lizards. Allen Repashy has developed a perfectly balanced powdered diet for them to make feeding a breeze too. I simply feed the diet every day or every other day and offer insects once a week. The diet is supposed to be perfect enough to where feeding insects isn't necessary, but I've found mine still relish an occasional bug and it keeps them in shape, plus it keeps my females good and plump for breeding and laying.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Thanks for the info, man. :D

So they really do do well at room temps... wow, that's kinda neat. It certainly makes then even more appealing to me, as anything that takes less heat is usually easier to maintain. (and considering I'm a n00b when it comes to lizards... yeah XD)

Well, the room where I keep my herps is usually around 73-75 or so, just because it's rather small. And has many heating-things in it. lol, it's not bad though. Helps keep everything healthy. ^_^

And yes, I read about that diet and found that in particularly interesting. I didn't know a lizard could thrive on something besides greens or bugs. Man, you really do learn something new every day. o.o

Crested geckos are certainly appealing to me right now. I may look for one at the next expo, depending on the money situation (I believe they're fairly cheap, but I may also be picking up a burm... we'll see).

One thing I'm wondering... how's the need for UVB with them?

Again thanks for all the help. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

No problem ^_^ and no need for UVB with these guys

They don't need any form of lighting. Just like a boa, the light that comes from the room via window, etc is enough due to their nocturnal nature. They're probably the easiest gecko/lizard to keep as far as care goes, with leopard geckos being a close rival.

A burm huh? LOL man you sound like me with a never ending list of reptiles to add to the collection

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Nice, no UVB = easier starter lizard for me. :D

No needed lighting is always a plus, as it cuts down on changing bulbs and whatnot. ^_^

So yes, I am very much so leaning towards one of these cresteds.

btw, how many per cage, or does it just depend on the size of cage?

And yes... man. Lemme tell ya, there are so many herps I want it's not even funny. Next expo I'm going to look for and possibly buy a burmese python (maybe, if they have one which is doubtful.. haven't seen 'em there yet, it's a small expo), a red blood python, a pueblan milk snake, possibly another boa of some sort... too much stuff. And now some crested geckos... I'll probably go broke. XD

Also... one other thing: how are cresteds at being handled/moved? I know some of the lizards out there (looking at you, green anoles) are, well... fragile, for use of a better word.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help an idiot on lizards learn. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

cresties do really well with being held. mine is still getting used to me and will only let me pet his head and back. he still panics when i try to hold him but ive only had him since the end of october ^_^ they are silly little lizards too. if im late feeding jack he goes into a panic and whenever he is out of food or water he will sit in that bowl and just look around the room for me. i think he is the cutest of all my lizards, though that could be because he is the only one that isnt a leo lol

they are so easy to care for its hard having only one. i think i may get a tank of girls one day

the only downside to them is that the tails dont grow back ifthey lose them so im always overly paranoid but ive accidently grabbed jack by the tail a few times with no issue.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

We need to join forces on this, half that list you made there looks like some of mine LOL, something about the Bloods is just too cool, yet I'm pretty sure next next on the list will be another boa of sorts too (I drool over Sunglows hardcore). We gotta get you to a quality expo so you can stockpile on your herp collection ^_^

You can't keep males together but most females get along well if they are within the same size range and have adequate space. Generally you want a 20 gallon high aquarium and an additional 10 gallons for every additional gecko...but I'm keeping a trio of females in an 18" x 18" x 24" (about 33 gallons) with no problems. They get along well, and actually have quite a bit of social type behavior that goes relatively unheard of in most of the reptile kingdom. Most of my girls sleep in the same hides together and often vocalize at night. As long as there is enough space and hides for them all you shouldn't see any problems...but make sure they are close in size and remember there are sometimes exceptions where they simply don't like each other and you need to be prepared for that.

They make well in naturalistic displays as well. I've really got to get pics up of everything I've been working on for my herps over the past few weeks. Snake pics, setup pics, I'll get it up soon =)

Shanna, I feel ya there. I generally leave mine alone except for a select few that really tolerate handling well. They're still cute with their little nubs, but I have a couple with gorgeous tails I'd hate to see go. I think as long as you aren't actually restraining them or harming them it's unlikely you'll have a problem though. I've found that they also twitch their tail when "threatening" to drop it, so that can be a warning sign to sort of leave em alone. I haven't had one drop their tail yet, but I have a little rescue who is afraid of his own shadow and when it's cage cleaning time he FREAKS out and I have to be extra careful with him...he does that tail twitch frequently as I draw my hand near and I've had another female breeder who was skittish do the same before. And btw, you should totally get a girl tank setup! Haha, I'm a bad influence...you can blame me if your fiance freaks lol

13. Shanna66

as long as i let him fill half the house with computer stuff he should let me fill the other half with reptile and rat stuff lol XD sometimes i have to wonder if he knew what he was getting himself into when he gave me that ring lol

14. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Thanks for the answers. ^_^

Yeah, the anoles I had eventually lost their tales so long ago. It didn't seem to bother them, but still. It's nice when a lizard can keep its tail. XD

And I'd love to get to a bigger herp show. I'm thinking of trying to get to the Kalamazoo one, it's supposed to be a decent size. Thing is it's a couple of hours away, sooo... gotta work that in. I am sold on ordering reptiles now though, so even if I can't find what I'm looking for at a show I will probably end up ordering it (hopefully multiple herps in the same box saves shipping). Just have to wait till it's not zero degrees out. >_<

Yeah, the blood pythons... man, lemme tell ya... they're freaking beautiful. They had some nice CBs at the show last month, but I was out of cash so couldn't do anything at that time. lol, oh well. Hopefully next show. :D

I'd love to see pics, Jeff. That would be awesome. :D

Hmm... multiple females in the same cage is good, Okay. I figured it's best to keep males separate. In my experience, most males of any animal species like to fight. XD

The only other thing I was wondering, how long could a hatchling/young crested live in a 10 gallon, if that's even Okay? I've got one of those up in the closet, so it'd be nice if it would work for the time being. If not, then I'll have to pick up a bigger cage; not a huge deal, just like to use what I've got first. :)

Thanks again for the help you two. I appreciate it greatly.

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

A 10 gallon will be fine for any age crestie you get as a temporary or quarantine cage if you happen to find one and aren't otherwise prepared. You could keep an adult in there for a few weeks or even a month or two if necessary as long as he or she gets to move into their bigger adult cage.

But regarding size, I would say you can keep a crestie who is up to sub-adult age in a 10 gallon before they really need to be upgraded to a larger enclosure. You'll be able to eyeball it and see when things are getting a little cramped, but you could keep one in there up to 6-8 months of age just fine in most cases. It's actually recommended to have juvies that are under 4 months in a smaller enclosure such as a 10 gallon anyway to aid in finding food and feeling more comfortable in its environment.

16. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Ah, Okay. So the 10 I've got sitting will last for a little while, that's good. Not trying to be cheap, but I picked it up for $5 at the last expo just because it was there... and it'd be nice to use it. ^_^

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Understandable, I've picked up a girl before that i was NOT prepared for at all but had a large critter keeper at the ready =P Some egg crates/flats, paper towel, and some lids for water dishes later and voila...insta cage! She did well in there for about the next day or two until I rigged up a more comfortable quarantine. And $5 is a hella deal for a 10 gallon! Nice grab =)

18. Shanna66

thats how you know your in too deep with keeping reptiles. if you see a tank thats an awsome price and you buy it just because its on sale lol

19. Belletair

Belletair New Member

lol, yeah exactly. They had around a dozen there. Now that I think of it, I probably should have picked up more... >_<

But yes, I find most herps don't mind simple/plain cages as long as they've got water, heat and a place to hide. They're not as demanding as us humans. ^_^

20. Shanna66

yeah i dont think they are one way or the other. ive got a bunch of different leo setups from natural, to the bare minimun, and my favorite one is fashioned to look like a hamster cage. all my leos act as happy and any other one

21. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Yeha, that's how my snakes are.

Although I will say, that one baby girl I posted pics of absolutely lovers her aspen bedding. She gives colubrids a run for their money in tunnel making. XD

22. Shanna66

ive only used aspen as a substrate for my ball python for a bit over a month (it was a huge bag) but she didnt seem to like it, or care, so i went back to paper towels. i wish i could use aspen with my bigged leo though because she love to make tunnels in her fleece

23. Belletair

Belletair New Member

haha, yeah. That's been my general experience with balls and boas up 'till now. They normally could care less as to having aspen, it's usually the corns that love it.

But this little boa, man... she is constantly burrowing in it and peeking out to see what's going on. She's an extremely shy snake, so I'm thinking that could be why...

24. Shanna66

that sounds so cute