Reflections of your reptile....

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by UncleLunchBox, Mar 11, 2003.

1. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

I've noticed about a couple of weeks ago that Galadriel(an African fat-tailed gecko) is intrigued with her reflection from the glass in her tank. She'll put her face right up to the glass and kinda rub her snout against it I guess to get through. I know that frogs can develop sores on their snouts due to trying to jump through the glass, but could this harm my gecko as well? I have the sides and the back of her tank covered in a rock backdrop paper which has a mat finish, not the high gloss that you usually find on most of them. I don't know if she is trying to climb into the rocks or if she just sees what she thinks is another gecko. Poor baby :) . Should I do something about this or is this normal behavior and I should just leave her be?

UncleLunchBox ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

My lizards do that all the time. We normally let them out if the rub for too long and let them walk freely around the bed room for about 30mins then they go happily back into their tank and go to sleep. Keep an eye on it though cause if she rubs too much she could get a sore nose.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

Thanks for the reply nathan. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure she doesn't get a sore nose. Do you think I should let her roam free? My room has lots of hiding spots and I'm afraid I might lose her. I think if I let her out she'd try to jet on me LOL.

UncleLunchBox :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Well you could let her roam in a room where there are less places to hide or do what Nathan and I do, let them roam while we are about to keep an eye on them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

My anoles did that, so we put some white paper on the outside to cut down on his reflection. It seemed to work for him, but then we really couldn't let the anoles out to wander th room... :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. pixiefrogw

pixiefrogw Embryo

You can also try to put some plants in front of the glass to keep her from rubbing. If she continues to do it, it can become a problem. She could rub it rare and get an infection. If this happens, which I hope it doesn't you can clean the infected spot with a qtip dipped it peroxside.