questions!!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by mythdragonlover, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

just out of curosity...

how easy are chameleons taken care of?

how big do they get when they're done growing?

whats the minimum size tank you need to house 1 full-grown chameleon?

thankx!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kristasjz

kristasjz Embryo

I have a 175 gal. reptarium for when my little guy grows up. I know it's not super hard to take care of them, but like any animal I think that you need to pay special attention to certain needs. I'm no expert, and I come here to ask for help myself, but I think that if you're absolutely willing to do what it takes to keep them healthy it's pretty easy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mythdragonlover

175????? how big do they get???

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

it depends on wat species myth, some like the veiled grow pretty large and all chams have special needs. Im no expert, but I do know that they need a large tall terrarium and high humidity as well as lots of misting. I no that they can eat a lot and can some can become stressed very eaily. it really depends on what species your thinking about but i know that the veiled is very popular and requires a minimum of a 36x20x36 for a single one. they can grow about 24 inches for males and 13 for females. they need lots of uva and uvb rays as well. if u dont have a lot of cash in yur pocket or have enough space, a cham is not right 4 u.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mythdragonlover

how many reptiles do you have jeff??? do you have a chameleon too?

and i'm not think bout buying one... i was just curious ^.^

i am curious person...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

ic , i only own a leo and a cresty but well, i like to do research on everything. the only things i dont know to much about r snakes but im startin my own research project on them. im kinda a perfectionist about learnin everything i can about everything.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I've owned tons of frogs that we caught (i was little). I used to have a few turtles, like box tutrles and water turtles. We had anoles once, but I was little and didnt have the time for them and honestly I didnt know what I was doing :D

Other than that I've had my Leo and Crestie. Soon to get Beardie I hope. I've enver owned a snake, but have had several small pets (like furry) aka a ferret which we took in that had terrible previous care

Watched a pig once for a friend in 4h took :mrgreen:

13. mythdragonlover

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a lot of pets!!

you had a pig!?! awwww, i've always wanted a pig, and ferret!!! (which you've owned...) your so lucky...

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I took care of a ferret for my cousin once, I still want one :D

15. mythdragonlover

my momwould never let me get a ferret... *sad*

when i get my own house i'm gunna have so much pets... (my wife and kids will be inculded onthe pet list too... lol... j/k)

16. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

Chams are not easy to take care of. They are mostly loners that don't like to be handled. Mine is very tolerant of me and comes out a lot. They get stressed out very easily by noise, movement,and just about anything. They need particular temps and moisture levels. They are wonderful to keep, but are time consuming. Mine just went on a hunger strike because I ran out of silkworms. Right now he will only eat if I hand feed him. They are also pigs. Some species get quite large, while others are tiny. I have a veiled and I had my husband make him a huge 6 ft tall enclosure. He uses every inch of it.

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

yea they r pretty hard. i had to have my dads friend matt who ownes and breeds veiled and panther chameleons come to help me with my chams. they do eat like pigs man! and they do get stressed easily. cheri gave some helpful info. did i do ok cheri? or waz my info wrong?

18. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

You did good JEFFREH. I am just like you, I research all different kinds of animals. It's really important to research any animal you want to have. You get a lot of good advice on these sites, but it's best when you look it up yourself and have a book or something to look back at if you have questions.