questions

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by cole11492, Aug 16, 2004.

1. cole11492

cole11492 Embryo

how much should i pay for an iguana? how much does it hurt to get bitten?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lturbott

lturbott Member

Ok. first off these are there are many other things you should be considering. The main issues are: Do you have the correct enclosure? Have you done the neccesary research? Are you commited to the time for the life of the iguana? There is a lot to learn about caring for an iguana. Iguanas have been known to live up to 15 years or more in captivity with the proper care. They can also get to 6+ feet. That is why they need a very large enclosure, proper lighting and nutrition. If you do the proper research and still decide you want an iguana, then consider adopting. Please, think long and hard about this decision. For you and for the iguana. Here are a few sites you should read:

http://www.reptilerescueca.org/Iguana_Tears.html
    http://www.animalark.mn.org/lit/herppets.pdf
    http://www.anapsid.org/

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

lturbott's right - if the price of the animal is your only concern, you need to do some more research. iggies take a LOT of time, space, and money and have a pretty specialized diet.

if you *have* done research and are prepared for such a pet, but were just wondering what a reasonable price is . . . i wouldn't pay mroe than $15 or $20.

p.s. - yes bites hurt, but scratches and tail-whips can be worse

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Well, so far I haven't been bitten, but I get whipped by my small one often, my big one clubs and scratches. (clubbing is because she has a short tail due to an injury during the "care" of a previous "caregiver")

My wife is right about the committment, we spend many hours a day and many dollars a week on these wonderful reptiles.
    Hummingbird is right also, don't pay more than $15 - 20. Please don't buy an Iguana though, there are too many being poorly cared for in pet stores. Adoption is great and thought there may be a small adoption fee, you get a pet that has had vet checks and good care before you get it.

Now to the hard bit, the Iguana is the cheapest part of the whole deal.

Lights: 1 UVB 5.0 18" bulb $35 - $39 (lasts 6 months or so)
    1 UVA Basking Spot 100w $10 - $15 (last as long as you are lucky, last one 2 weeks)
    Food, depending on size $5 - $25 per week
    Enclosure, which needs to be large, $100 - unlimited
    Vet bills, approx $60 annually, special visits can be deadly.
    Finding a reptile vet, near impossible.
    Patience with a grumpy lizard, you need an unlimited supply and the ability to endure scratches and whips, not all on purpose, but still painful.

Basically, if you want an Iguana, look long and hard at what you need to do to make it's life as good as you can, special diet, special enclosure, special health care, a very special pet that can make it all rewarding.

All reptiles need special care, all need a lot of thought.

If you choose A., then good luck and keep in touch, I love talking to other reptile owners.
    If you choose B., then thanks for looking into the reptile world and taking an interest.