Questions on which to choose.

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Pterodactyl, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl New Member

Oh I've already read it ; ) It had a lot of great info. It's one of the best care sheets I've come across so far.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

Oh. XD

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Woops, I was a little slow on the uptake... lol.

Pterodactyl - Cheri (the originator of this site) was/is one of the most knowledgeable people in the reptile industry on Bearded Dragon care. We definitely have a big privileged with having her knowledge in the history on this site.... keep in mind the search function we have on here, it's an awesome tool to scan through all the questions and answers since ... 2004? I think :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

lol! I got a 20gal tank for free at a garage sale! Like Rowan said, craigslist is a great place to get tanks cheap! I have found 60gal tanks for $60-$100 before (and if you have been looking at prices, this one is a good deal!). I can't tell you how many times my family had to shut me up when I was getting a beardie! I would talk about them so much, it was driving my family mad!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

I agree, Craigslist is the best. I recently bought a 75 gallon aquarium for for a bearded dragon for only $50. And the guy even threw in a 4ft fluorescent light fixture and a water heater which I'm using for my turtle. I definitely felt like I was robbing him, haha. Gotta love craigslist! : )

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Screen cages are generally NOT a good choice for a couple of reasons:

1) They don't hold heat well. This makes for developing the appropriate thermal gradiant quite difficult.

2) Nylon Mesh enclosures (ie 'Reptariums') are too fragile, and beardies can easily get their nails stuck in them. Plus, they greatly inhibit visibility of the animal. I've only ever used this for temporary outdoor exposure...

3) Aluminum Screen Mesh enclosures are simply too abrasive; and nails can easily get caught, etc.

4) Any porous enclosure makes feeding insects within the enclosure a nightmare; as crickets and roaches will readily climb around the perimeter of the viv.

To name a few =P

Keep your eye out for 65 or 75 gallon aqauriums (both have the same 48" x 18" floorspace, just different height).

Also, if you or someone you know is handy, you can make your own enclosure. This allows you to be as extravagant or economic as you'd like and can incorporate nice features that aquariums can't provide. You can build a 48" x 24" x 24" enclosure for under a $100 with plywood or melamine as the primary building tool and using acrylic or glass doors for the front... reducing any hassle of having to deal with taking lights on and off the viv everytime you want to access the dragon's realm. Alright, so $100 might be a pretty cheapy looking cage, but it would work!

Cammy likes this.
  12. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

He means "Not a good choice" :)

Don't you love when your brain thinks faster than your hands?

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

LOL! Thanks Jess = ) Epic failllll *edits post now*

14. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

My problem is that they are always sold with stands, so they triple the price. eno We already have a stand that would work.

15. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

At the Expos they usually sell tanks with/out stands. and the prices are pretty good.

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I've found pretty good prices here: http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=3
    That's the link for terrariums but they do... EVERYTHING you could think of, lol. The aquariums are more expensive, and the terrariums are cheaper, also they do custom work and they do a LOT of reptile shows, so chances are if you're going to a show they might have a truck going there anyway and you can get free or reduced shipping :)

Eme Demiri likes this.
  17. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

I always buy from Glasscages at the Expos, last expo i got a 20gallon with a glass top for just about $20