Question about my Mali's behavior

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by pethuman, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pethuman

pethuman Embryo

I have a mali uromastyx who is about 2 years old who was very shy for a long time while she/he was small. I recently moved her to a 55 gallon tank and she's been loving it, shedding like crazy and utterly destroying her cage (dragging food all over the place like they do). Anyway, she's gotten a lot bigger but also a lot more aggressive. I don't know if they hit "puberty" or not like beardies can get more territorial, but she's tried to bite me a couple times. (This is a lizard that I brought to class and passed around she's so tame, and she lets me trim her nails with baby nail clippers) and suddenly she's not wanting me to touch or hold her.

She's also very picky with her lights and my 100w dome lamp burnt out and now she's back in hiding. I swear...

Setup:
    55 gal
    100w halogen
    100w mercury vapor bulb for uva/uvb
    substrate is sand
    eats: dandelion greens, endive, turnip greens, hibiscus flowers & leaves, millet, peas, dried lentils
    ambient temp 95 basking temp 115-120

I guess my question is am I doing okay? Does a change in behavior indicate pain/disease/something wrong?

Sue

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Hey Sue,

Sounds like you are doing everthing right....im not sure why your mali is suddenly acting more aggressive. However, i do think that sometimes they become more assertive and confident as they get older. My Mali was so scared of everything when he was little...running away from everything, very nervous...now that he is almost 3 he is much more confident...he is very active, and much braver than he used to be. I havent noticed any aggression, but maybe its just an aging change?