Potty Question

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Buddylove, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Buddylove

Buddylove Embryo

Hello Everyone,
    I received a rescued male Iguana for my birthday in September. I believe him to be at least 5 years old. I have outfitted him with a new enclosure and all appropriate lights and humidity. His diet consists of collard, mustard, dandelion and turnip greens everyday with parsnips, greenbeans, squash every other. Also Strawberries for treats. He seems to be steadily improving and has regained his green color. However, he usually only goes to the bathroom every four days or so. This is an improvement, we began at 7 days. Other than this he seems fine and has become alot more active.
    I guess I want to know how often your Igs go. Any help you can give is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Aileen

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

hmmm mine is every day to every other day depending what shes eaten. try giving him a bath as water helps them to pass. worked for mine when she didnt go for a few days

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Buddylove

Buddylove Embryo

I do give him baths to help. It doesn't always work though. Sometimes he just swims around. It's almost like he's laughing at me. Ha Ha not gonna poop today!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Every four days isn't really that big an issue. Our adult has a BM about every 2-3 days. Sometimes it's more frequent, sometimes not...like was said, depends on what she's fed. I would offer one suggestion though, I'd offer more fruits. About 30% of their diet should be fruit and not just strawberries. Melon, other berries, grapes, bananas, kiwi, etc..are all good fruits to offer.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. IguanaDonna

IguanaDonna Embryo

Sometimes I find it helpfull to gently massage my igs belly when she is in the bath. I've only had to do this twice though as she was a bit distended. I would't worry too much aslong is the poop is "healthy" looking, if that makes any sense.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Buddylove

Buddylove Embryo

Thanks for all the suggestions. You have relieved my mind. His poop looks fine, healthy poop does make sense to me. It was hard to find any info on frequency. I was able to find 1 item that said an iguana that eats every day should poop everyday, hence the concern. As I said, it seems to be occuring more frequently, so I'm assuming it will straighten out as his overall health improves. I just wasn't expecting it to take soooo long. Thanks again for all your help. I'm glad I found you guys.