Possibly an anole?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by ajlista, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Sorry about my recent inactivity. Alright so by my aunts in lnybrook long island not sure if any of you live in new York but there is what I believe is ani anole living in a wood pile on he side of the house. He is very bright and colorful but constantly being harassed by the dog , but he's quick. Recently with the large amount of storms I made him a hide out of a tupperware container And put it in his wood pile which I see he used considering the paper towel was disturbed. Well I was curious as to if I should try and catch him and try to give I'm a better life in a tank, safe, stable source of food. Or should I just leave nature to play its course.
    Thanks
    Anthony

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I think it would probably be better to just leave him, unless he is injured or in danger-still, you may not be able to help him much either way... :confused: A lot of them are wild-caught though.
    I know they are around Florida, Hawaii, and some of the east coast, though I'm not sure they'd be around there(in Long Island). what color(s) is he? I could see them hanging out by a woodpile too, though I'm not that sure how they are in the wild-I know they like trees and such, since they're arboreal though. If you can get a pic, then I could for sure tell you if he is one or not-though, I know it could be pretty difficult to get one. You can look up how they look online and just see, you should be able to tell once you see what one looks like. They are pretty quick too, like you mentioned he was.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ajlista

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ajlista

Sorry it did the general search I'm on an iPad so it's all weird but he looks like am an anole minus the dulapnthing lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I did a quick search and judging by your description and location, he is most likely a wall lizard. I definitely agree with Michelle here--he's much better off being left outside where he belongs. Taking a wild animal into captivity can cause a great deal of stress to them, and you may find yourself with another lizard requiring vet care. I know you've got your hands full with Shaggy already, so I think both you and the lizard would be better off if you leave him be. Wild animals naturally have low levels of internal parasites that they are typically able to keep under control, but the weakened immune system from the stress of moving the animal to a captive environment often allows these parasites to get a better foothold and overwhelm the animal. If you really want to help him, though, your mission should be to train the dog to let the lizard live in peace. Maybe you can teach him that the wood pile is a "no-no area." I'm sure the lizard would appreciate that much more than being stuck in a cage. =)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajlista

Lol. Yeah I was thinking why would he want to come from the wild into captivity it would suck. Lol I was thinking of putting out food for him after doing research on what they eat but I figured he might Become dependent on it and I figured it wouldn't be good to take his wild nature away. Is it a good idea to just set him up a cozy nice home out of the wood pile from a chopped down tree on the side of the house? Lol
    As for the dog he would never hurt him he's such a gentle dog, lol hes a 90pound mush lol I may have even posted pictures of him but he's just curious as to what that green thing crawling on the wall in the backyard is lol.
    Thanks clammy lol always a good help And thanks Michelle

Cammy likes this.
  12. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Yep, if you want to set up a little shelter for him I think that would be fine. I agree with you on the captivity and food thing though. And I'm glad your dog is not actually going after him. That would be pretty terrifying to have a creature a thousand times your size to be confronting you!

13. ajlista

Yeah lol the lizard is just way to sat he runs up the wall and the dogs all "why can't I do that?"

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Huh, this is pretty cool... http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/lizards.pdf

And apparently the italian wall lizard escaped care at some point and is literally only on long island around lynbrook and north to like the LIE, lol. I was trying to picture what you were describing and I couldnt think of anything that I have ever seen by me... but I live farther east so that would explain it!

15. ajlista

If you know where merrick road is, it is extremely large but we live right off of merrick road by the uhhh the trainstation its tiny, its inbetween lynbrook and hempstead, We are so close that the neighboor that lives down the block pays different taxes cause they are in a different town, lol. Pretty close to the LIE