Please Help :(

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Pixiefluff, Oct 24, 2011.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh no! Poor little guy! This might be stages of MBD... extra calcium is the perfect thing right now. I would suggest taking him to the vet if he doesn't show signs of improvement in a day or two.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vicki casella

vicki casella New Member

it appears to me he has mbd and a broken jaw. if you can get calcium glubionate from a vet that is his best chance to raise his blood calcium levels.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I can't believe I didn't notice this thread since the new picture arose = (

I agree with Vicki and Lauren completely, it looks like MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). When the body is starved of blood calcium, it begins to sacrifice the stores in the bones. The first noticable effects are usually a "floppy" jaw that behaves almost like rubber...this is due to contents of the hard part of the bone being broken down to release calcium and phosphate into the bloodsteam, yet the actual strength of the bone still exists.

If things haven't improved by now, he really needs to see a vet. Check out this site for vets near you:
    http://herpvetconnection.com

Get him on a regimen of calcium and D3... the D3 is just as important as the calcium as its necessary for the synthesis of calcium in the body. Vicki recommended Caclium glubionate - this is one of the most potent and readily absorbed calcium supplements you can get ahold of and is generally only available through a vet (sometimes online). It's probably the best thing you can get for an animal who is suffering with MBD, but follow dosing carefully. Hypercalcemia can be just as detrimental, you don't want to suddenly shock the blood with excessive calcium.

The problem could have arisen from lack of D3 or adequate calcium in the diet - although for nocturnal geckos is generally more attributed to lack of calcium. The Calcium with D3 supplement I recommended earlier is ideal for dusting insects for the future.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

oh no :(
    how is he doing?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kelsey

kelsey Embryo

a lot of the time it can simply be he is lacking in vitamins. that's usually the least worry sum health issue, but should still be looked after. althouhg usually thats not the case. best bet- take him to the vet.
    how is he doing now?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Luan Trieu

Luan Trieu Embryo

well if your gecko isn't doing well just keep it in a a very sanitary place get a large plastic container poke some good holes in it then wash it out with water than dry it then put your gecko in it with a dish with shallow water so your gecko can regulate it humidity just don't mist it to prevent fungal or bacterial growth til your gecko feel better and keep the place your gecko in rather cold around 76 degrees.

12. Luan Trieu

Luan Trieu Embryo

it could be too moist in the habitat I would advise keeping it in a very well ventilated habitat like a cheap plastic shoe box with holes in it and with a shallow dish with water

13. Luan Trieu

Luan Trieu Embryo

i would not advise using coconut substrate or eco earth for animals with eyes

14. Luan Trieu

Luan Trieu Embryo

i can see a gap between the upper and lower jaw even if you give it calcium you still need sun light or a 5.0 UVB bulb.