Planning for a mali uro

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by sickend, Nov 29, 2008.

1. sickend

sickend New Member

Hi guyz!

Im planning on getting a mali uro in the near future i just half to move first. but im goin to start building a cage for one or two and thats a question i cant seem to find an answer too. can i keep 2 together if the cage is big enough and what size should tank be iv seen 40 gal which is no problem but i build all my desert cages so i can make it as big as i want. thanx for your time and help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

I always recomend keeping just one - its less stressful on them and easier to monitor health, etc.

As far as size - if you are building the cage for an adult Uro then i would make it at least 4ft long x 2ft wide. But these lizards are extremely active - they will definately use all the space you give them. If you are building, i say build big - do a 4x3 or even 4x4 - they will use every inch of it. If you do decide to house two, the bigger the better - i would go with something maybe even as big as 5-6ft long. Also, build it low - this makes the cage easier to heat, 20inches would be a fine height.

A 40gallon breeder size tank works good for young Uros up to about 2 years of age or so - but they are SO active they really require more space!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I agree with MimC and start off with one. I know from your other postings that you have kept gecko's successfully in groups, they are far more "social" lizards than uro's. Uro's are very terratorial and loners, sexing young ones is almost impossible. If you got 2 babies and they turned out to be 2 males then you will have serious fighting as they get older.
    MimC says a good size cage is 4x2 floor space for ONE, believe me they will use every inch of it.
    Have you got the space to provide 2 cages 4x2 if needed, if not then stick with one uro.
    You should also be aware these are a "to be looked at" lizard rather than a "hands on", most dont take very well to a lot of handling.
    Uro's unlike gecko's like it HOT HOT HOT, basking temps 125-130F and high UVB for their bodies to function properly.
    Start with one and then progress from there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

start with just one.. and if you get one of the Mali imports... good luck.

Since you are in Florida, give Linday Pike a call (or email) he breeds several species, has a wealth of knowledge on Uro's and is just a really cool guy to talk with.

on his site he has yearling malis for 50 bucks!

http://urotopia.com/

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sickend

sickend New Member

huh sweet for the breeder! Iv got a 55 gal fish tank as well to keep reps in. that is a big cage lol not a problem tho. keeping just one uro is fine with me. just wanted to know if you could keep 2 or more together all the material iv gathered was pretty unclear about that part. 4x4 cage will be built then and ill half to build a stand for it as well i suppose(darn lol). Thats fine with the handling part too i just like watching my reps most of the time although all my beardies and leos are tame. i saw that for the temps in my book i got " the guide to owning uromastyx and butterfly agamids" by jerry g walls. what substrate should i use in the book it says burrowing stuff but to be carefull of impaction (start babies on rep carpet or paper towels too) i was just planing on using millet like i do with my beardies they pass it everytime the ingest it so.. thanx for the help and tips!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

i use millet but alot of others if u r getting a baby usally use papertowel.
    i love beardies two lol but uros are amazing pets and i hope u enjoy having one