nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by herpgurrl, Dec 7, 2006.

1. herpgurrl

herpgurrl New Member

Thats a mouth full. I'm a veterinary science major, and I'd like to specialize in exotics. I have to write a short (2-4 page) report on any type of disease on a major organ system of an animal for an extra credit assignment. I chose nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism (Ca++ deficiency that causes brittle bones and deformities) in reptiles. I was wondering if any knew any really good informative websites on it. Or if anyone here has had any experiences with this disease that I would be able to quote in my report.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Thekingandmort

Thekingandmort New Member

Hey Herpqurrl,
    I am also in the veterinary science field, I am currently going for my Vet Tech degree, where as buy the sounds of things you are working to become a Veterinarian. Good luck and I hope things go well for you.
    As for an answer to your question, when we had first bought our Iguana he was a "rescue" from a pet store that was going under and being investigated. After we got him all settled in and he had time to calm down we took him to the vet. We found that he was very calcium deficient and had the warning signs of MBD. Needless to say on his back left foot his outer most toe points almost directly back. The vet said that most likely what happened was he was so calcium deficient that he suffered a minor fracture and the bone was never corrected and set so the joint had healed and "froze" that way. Also both his front feet are deformed and he has trouble keeping them fully open, he can open them and use them to climb. He just can’t keep them open very far while at rest. I feel bad for the little guy, but I know that he his getting much better care now then he did before. The vet assured us that he is not in any pain, and to help with his muscle and tendon strength, once a week we let him grasp our finger and then we slowly roll our finger out to stretch and straighten his toes. We do this a few times and then he gets a treat of fresh fruit. Hope this all helps you, if you have any questions you can drop me a PM.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Instead of looking for that big, hokin', mouthful, I'd look for something about metabolic bone disease. I think you may have better luck searching that way :)