not sure if he/she is eating

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by xjulezxo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

PERSONAL HISTORY (Rhacodactylus)
    Name: no name yet.. i can't tell it it's male or female.

Age, weight if you know? i'm not sure..

How long with you? i got him/her on July 31 2010 at a reptile expo

What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? Looks good to me. He/She is active.. a bit scared of me though.

Any physical features that do not appear normal (walking/moving normally)? yes

Has he ever been treated by a vet, if yes, for what and what meds were used/prescribed and when was this? no

Is he going to the bathroom? I'm not sure... I think I'm going to put him into a tank with paper towels this week.

Is he housed alone or with others? alone

If with others, what sex, size and age?

How often are you misting, at what time(s) of day? I mist once to twice a day. It's either in the morning at 6-6:30 or at night around 6-6:30.

ENCLOSURE
    Set-up info: tank size and contents? It's a small exo-terra.. I guess it's 10gal?

Temp and what are you measuring it with? I don't have a thermometer in there but my room stays warm so it's probably between 75-80 F

Humidity % and what are you measuring it with? When I haven't misted it's at about 40% then I mist so it goes up to about 80-90%

What do you use for substrate? Some kind of wood chip (large chips) and I put some moss in there to hold some moisture and so he/she has a place to go if he needs that extra humidity.

Do you use any type of night time heat or light, if so what? no

FOOD
    How is his appetite? Is there a change? I'm not sure if he is eating. I'm using the powder food MPR. I mix about 1/4 tsp up with some water so it's like thickish. I haven't seen him eat that at all.. I put crickets in one day because I don't want him/her to starve and I haven't seen a cricket since so I guess they were eaten.

What kind of diet is your Rhac on? (CGD, baby food, insects etc, please list all of the foods you feed your crestie and your feeding schedule.) I'd like to only feed MPR because that is what the lady who sold him to me said she uses and nothing else.

If you feed insects what size, kind and how many insects does he eat daily? little pinhead crickets once. I put about 5 in there.

What do you feed to the insects (gut-loading)?

SUPPLEMENTS?
    What kind of calcium/how often? I haven't used any yet because I just got him and he's not eating the MPR

What kind of vitamins how often "

How are these given to him? "

Is there any additional information that might be of use? The more you can tell us, the better others can help you with suggestions. I had emailed the lady I got him from and she gave me some info and said not to worry just yet.. but I really can't get him eating so I don't know what to do. I don't know if my tank is too large.. I have him in the tank with jungle vine and leaves. He's scared of me so he hides when I go in the tank so I'm not sure if he's just not settled in yet or what?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If you got him from a breeder at a reptile expo I would bet that he is in good health and has been eating the CGD before. He is probably still settling in and or is just not eating a lot of the diet... enough that you would notice anyway. I would change out the large wood chips to paper towel just so you can keep a better eye on him until he gets larger... Large wood chips are ok, just make sure they are REALLY large... large enough that there is no chance of him getting them in his mouth.

The paper towel will really help you notice if he's going to the bathroom at all and obviously if it's coming out it's got to be going in so... good luck! keep us posted!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

The wood chips are bigger than him pretty much haha. I'll change to paper towels. He does seem in good health and she said all of her geckos only eat that food and I believe she doesn't feed crickets often if at all. Should I be feeding crickets at all or with the diet does it not make a difference?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

The diet is a complete diet (no other foods needed) but I like to add variety to my rhac's diets so I like to at least offer silk worms and crickets and pheonix worms and the like once in a blue moon... most of them won't eat them though.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im keeping both of mine on paper towels so i can see their poops, otherwise i would never know they are eating