New To Snakes

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by SnakeMan101, Jul 6, 2005.

1. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

i am fairly new to snakes having only owned a couple of garters that i caught myself. i was looking into buying a snake and was wondering what is a good idea for beginners, i would also like something affordable, tame, and fairly hardy. Some species i have heard include Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes, and a couple different boas. i would like any and all suggestions regarding which species is best. also i would like to know if i purchase the forementioned snake what size terrarium, what kind of substrate, what they eat, etc... thank you to all who post.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. liza714

liza714 Member

How about an Amazon Tree Boa or a Retic? JKJK I think a mod should move this to general snakes but corns are very forgiving of hiusbandry issues common to newbies. Personally they freak me out as they look like pretty earth worms, I like the boas and pythons as they have a cooler looking head. Children's python is a nice snake to start with and if you get a good eater they can be easy. Rosy boas stay somewhat small. Id avoid the larger snakes until you get some more experience. A CP can go in a 20 gal tank as an adult as they max out at 3ft. A rosy needs a somewhat bigger enclosure but not much. Good luck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I will go ahead and move this to general snakes, thank you Liza!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. coolfool

coolfool New Member

well i sugest a ball python and a normal one wont cost you much i gust got mine and it a male and it will probly will be around 4 FT when its full grown and a female tend to be a bit biger and abought 5 to 5 1/2 FT
    i only payed 39.99 fore the snake but spent money on heat light ultra vilat light and some cypres wood and a hide so snake can hide when it gets scared ats good and amust to have at least one hide as it reduces the stress levil of the snake you feed them once a week you would want to try to get it to eat frozen mice and un thowe them and try to get him to eat the frozen a ded mouce wont hert your snake but if you do feed the snake live watch as the mouce can hert it by biting or clawing it get two temp gages and put one on each side of tank and a hemudity gage in middile and i sugest a light timer you dont want to have to get up early turn lights on or off at night dont get a heat pad or rock because snakes tend to get burned and they dont have a tendinse to bight havent ben bit yet but if it does bight you dont yank it off you let it let you go or run it ounder water it should let go uzily if they do bight you it would be just a quick tag. the reason you dont want to pull off you is A you will make the wond werse on you and it as a babby shouldet even realy hert barly brake skin reason B youl hert the snake may rip teath and hert jaw and it could get mouth rot if you do get biten after snake is off you wash hand good peroxide and some neosporine. but that might never happen. this type does not have that much agresivenis as the condore pythons and such nowe. the firstm fewe dayes of having the snake try not to handile it so much its in a new home and has enough to wory abought and you got to gane its trust and after that abought 15 min a day shold be enough time to make it tame and you can go longer just pay attension to the snake and find ought when its had enough a stresed snake could go on a fast and not eat. and you dont want that. nowe hears a good sight thas has some diftent morphs of a bp http://www.bocamorphs.com/index.html there farly cheap ad good looking i got mine frome a privet breader though and they dont ship im in south floridas and so is that place bocamorphs check em ought

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coolfool

coolfool New Member

ps sory abought spelling i suck at it

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

yeah i noticed

12. coolfool

coolfool New Member

well do tell what type you deside on

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Actually corn snakes might be your best bet. They are tame, come in many different colour morphs, don't get too big (4.5ft average) are very tolerable to a beginners mistakes, hardy, and great eaters! Ball pythons are known for being picky/bad eaters. They can be stressful to a first timer. I know because I was considering one and this is what everyone told me. Childrens pythons are also a good consideration. Both can be kept in a 20gal tank (minimum). Good luck and let us all know your choice!

14. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

what kind of cornsnake would you reccomend. i think that i may go with a cornsnake

15. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well cornsnakes are cornsnakes but if you're looking for the cheapest, the normal phases cost the least. I have an Okeetee. Those are the orange coloured backgrounds with reddish blotches ringed in black on the dorsal part. Here's a pic of mine....[​IMG]
    Let me know which one you pick!

16. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

i like the looks of that one i think i may go with it. what kind of housing would you reccomend? and wher can i get it online?

17. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well I'm currently using a 20gal glass tank. But as soon as I have more money I'm getting a 40gal tank. You might want to get it from somewhere close to you...where abouts do you live. I can recommend a place.

18. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

i live in Akron Ohio

19. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well there's Bill and Kathy Love - www.cornutopia.com - in Florida. They are the best cornsnake breeders in the states as far as I know. I'll keep looking for more. You can also look on www.kingsnake.com for more breeders in your area.

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

21. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

thank you i will look into it... also where could i buy a terrarium online?

22. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

actually you might want to get the terrarium from a store locally. Some places don't like to ship glass tanks because they can't guarantee the conditon of it when it arrives. Also, if you plan to get a baby corn it might be better to get a 10gal unless you plan to put lots of hides in the 20gal, just because corns are shy snakes and feel threatened if they don't have a place to hide in open spaces.

23. SnakeMan101

SnakeMan101 New Member

do you know where i can buy at least a 20 gallon long terrarium online

24. coolfool

coolfool New Member

nice pic of cornsnakes ash 19 they got a a corn snake at alocal place near me for $99.00 buts not albino it has no color solid white looks real cool

25. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Thx!! :) The solid white is probably a blizzard then. What place. Is it a pet store?