New To Reptiles

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Zoggy, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Hi, recently I went to my local Petlands Discount, just to check out some animals out of boredom. Then I stumbled upon their reptiles section, and it just amazed me. I mean I was looking at miniture dinosaurs, and it blew my mind. I wanted to find out more information, I went online, and found many places with information (such as this forum).
    In conclusion, i want to get myself a reptile, but as always don't know what to get.
    Ive never had any pets and am the only child.
    I was thinking of getting an iguana, but their size as they mature will be too much for us living in an apartment.
    I need a reptile that is easy to maintain, and fun.
    Basically, I need to be pointed in the right direction.

Im looking for a reptile that will be at a MAXIMUM of 3 feet as an adult, and something that is preferably on a vegetable and/or fruit diet.
    I doubt I can deal with the whole cricket thing.
    The iguana was my only hope but its large size is the downside :)

Help me, also some picks would be nice, give me your feedback and post pics of your pets.
    Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

A bearded dragon might be the best choice it will eat meal worms crickets fruit and vegetables... they get up to about a 1 1/2 feet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

But they need crickets, and what about that whole sleeping 2 months in the winter thing?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

You could read up on uromastyx. I don't know a whole lot about how easy they are for a beginner because I've never owned one, but I do know they are a bit smaller than a beardie, and live on a completely vegetarian diet. I think they're really neat looking, too.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

I just got my first reptiles a little less than six months ago. I got Crested Geckos. They are very easy to maintain. They live at room temperature, and eat fruits. They can eat crickets, but can also be raised fine on Crested Gecko Diet (CGD, it contains protien and stuff the gecko needs by missing out on crickets). They are aboreal and can jump, but can also be handled. They are not really big, but can get up to 8 - 10 inches. They can also be found in a wide variety of morphs and colours.
    This is one of mine. She is richer in colour when it is dark out (nocturnal, but will come out in the evening with lights on).
    [​IMG]

There is more info in the Rhacodactylus Geckos forums
    Good Luck on your Search!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Well, you see, the geckos are small. I want the enjoyment and suspense that when I get my pet it will be like 4-6 inches, and in 2-3 years itll be 3-4 feet.
    I want something similar in size of an adult Bearded Dragon.
    Basically, I want a reptile that shares human characteristics. A nice personality, aging, growth etc...
    Ive heard that BD's have amazing personalites, but just one question:
    How do you maintain it with crickets? I mean do u go out EVERYDAY and buy new crickets?? How do you do it?

12. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

Usually you order about 500-1000 crickets at a pet store or online and just keep them in a tank and feed them gutload food. Most moms hate it though :)

13. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Man ... this sucks.

I want a pet, I want to raise it and go through with it and then when its an adult I can be proud of what I achieved. But its just so hard.
    I live in Brooklyn, NY, the only pet I really want is an Iguana, but my mom wont let me get one because of its size. Id get a BD but the problem with them is the crickets, and my mom will definitely disapprove.

sigh :)

14. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

They do sell dead crickets that "smell" alive. But I highly disagree with using this because 1. it isnt natural, and 2. who knows what they use to make it "smell"? It could be dangerous to your beardie or your gecko.

And there is a giant morph of a leopard gecko. Tremper Giant I think? Well anyways Its about a foot long. (but they are really expensive)

Heres a link: http://www.leopardgecko.com/giant.html

15. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

OK, I have never really looked into BD, but I have seen canned crickets on pet store shelves. Will BD eat these if you put them on a vibrater (also available at pet stores)? This way you can have a BD, and no live crickets.

16. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Are there any other pets similar to an iguana and its diet?
    Id buy one but its so large.
    Maybe im over exaggerating.
    Im 14 now, if i get an iguana it will be about 4-5 feet by the time im 17-18.
    Maybe its not so bad?

17. VAherper

VAherper Member

Igs are not for beginners. No offense, but ive kept replies and amphibians since i was about 8, im 15 now, and i dont think i would ever consider an Ig unless i could keep it outside. Cresties are incredibly enjoyable, they have perhensile tails, require no heat, have pre made powerded food. No negatives there. Geckos are prolly your best bet, small, cute, and personable.
    -Richard

18. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Geckos are... bleh.
    I want something that will grow large, but not long.
    Something in terms of water dragon, bearded dragon, or Iguana.
    Not something that I can get and will remain the same size for 10 years.
    Not to sound wrong, but I would like to have some kind of change in my pet over the years :)

19. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Rhacodactylus Geckos are your best bet, but because you want something larger...

Go with a Uro

Some species can reach similair lengths as an adult beardie. And they are 100% vegetarian. Here'sa link that may be helpful
    http://deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Index.htm

20. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

Are there only giant albinos or have they been successful in breeding giants with normal colorations?

21. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Wow, thanks.

I really like this one [​IMG]
    Ornate Uromastyx (U. ornata )

But Jesus Christ, its 450$!
    Its beautiful, but that is an insane price. :)
    I draw particular interest to green colored lizards, but other bright colored lizards would do. Pearlescent colors are also nice (yellow to orange).

22. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Orantes are also extremely laid back and can be handled. Males are usually brighter like the one you have pictured there.

The Saharan Uro's can be amazing shades of Red and Yellow. Not sure what they run for though =/. If price is an issue your best bet would be to get a very young uro, they are usually cheaper...remember that color develops with age also (the babies look very different from adults).

If you dont mind smaller lizards you should definelty check out the Rhacodactylus Geckos. Greens arent common, but they can have some insame colors and patterns. Crested Geckos are the most polychromatic lizards on the planet i think.

Here's a picture of my 6 month old Female Crested Gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
    [​IMG]

The brighter and more colorful they are the higher the price. Check out the Red from DragonsDenHerp, its more pinkish in the photos, hes also got some super nice Bright RED ones.
    http://dragonsdenherp.com/htm2/pg_crested.htm

23. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

Wow... the crested geckos in those pics look amazingly vivid.
    But even if I pick one of those, where am I supposed to get them?
    I know this one guy at petlands who told me not to buy iggy's from shops, he said he has some hatchlings that are captive bred (he breeds them) for 20$.
    Should I find out more information on what other breeds he has?

Also, I need a reptile that is relative to a BD or iguana, because then I would have to spend alot of time reading the new care sheets and getting info. So far I know somewhat (beginner things) on beardies and iguanas.
    But do guys think Id make a good parent?

24. kephy

kephy Moderator

Like I said in the beginning, from what you've given us I think a Uromastyx is right for you. They can be expensive if you're looking for one with those vivid colors, but I've also seen some of the more common ones priced pretty reasonably.

Whatever you go with, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of money on housing, lighting, and possible vet expenses. With the exception of geckos, anoles, and some snakes, most reptiles just aren't cheap. I've dropped literally hundreds, close to thousands on just two bearded dragons. As for reading caresheets, well let me put it this way, I've been keeping bearded dragons for over 3 years and I'm still reading about them every day! You can never learn too much about the pet you choose. Don't be intimidated just because you have to read a few new caresheets, you should be excited about it! :)

25. Zoggy

Zoggy Embryo

I am sometimes. But look at the iguana and bearded dragon!
    I researched them alot because they were of personal interest to me.
    I am doubtfully getting the uromastyx because it doesnt physicall appeal to me. The only two reptiles I like so far are the BD and iguana, and the BD is currently my only favorable option, its just a hard decision because of the crickets :/
    I want a pet that I can take care of, not something that I can neglect and famish.

The Rhacodactylus is also nice. I dont know why I like it, its such a small creature, but I like it nonetheless. Is there any other food alternative to BD's other than crickets?