new tank set up!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by kima, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kima

kima New Member

Thanks guys. I have a stick on heating pad fo my gecko and was wondering if I actually needed it or if he would be fine without it. Should I leave it on or take it off? Thanks again for all of your help.
    -Ashton

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

as long as ur room maintains around 70 deg. you should be fine without it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Mine is 17gals, and it is tall... Cresties being arboreal, spend little time on the ground, and avoid open spaces... my guy skirts the open areas, keeping near tree trunks or other ground foliage... he's only on the ground to get food or get extra water from his dishes, then is right back up the tree... he has branches and open space up high to jump about, and plenty of leaves around the periphery to climb and hide in...

In nature, they're found in the "canopy zone" between 10' and 50' above ground level... they can get water from leaves, and catch insects, all of which can be found in the canopy, so in theory, they have limited reason to spend much time at ground level...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kima

kima New Member

Hi guys. Thanks for the ideas. We are working on converting the tank now.

Today when I was checking on Sonny he looked all bubbly and white. Then I touched him to make sure was alright and he jumped. When he landed there was a big brown spot on his back. I realized that when I touched him the skin pealed off. Sonny started shedding. Then when I got home from school he was normal color again and I couldn't find the skin. Does anyone know if he could have eaten his skin? Thanks Bye

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much every crestie will eat its shed. They pull it of and eat it. So most time you won't know if they have shed or not. Unless they have sheding problems or started during they day you won't know.

Post pics of the converted tank, I'd like to see it when its done!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kima

kima New Member

Thanks. The tank isn't done yet so it'll be a while before we can get the pics on here. See ya later.

By the way he was done shedding when i got home from school. All except his tail i think. The skin was still on pretty tight when I got home just like it was when I left for school.

Me and sonny are doing great. At first I wanted a Standing's Day Gecko but then my dad talked me out of it and I'm glad he did because you can't handle them and i have been enjoying sonny climbing up my arm. Well See ya guys later. Bye

12. field_hockey_gal

Yeah, just make sure that there is no skin left on after each shed. You said that he had some on his tail, make sure that he is able to get it off. Mist lots to make it easier for him.

13. kima

kima New Member

We finished converting his tank today and it looks great. I'll get some pics and post them asap

14. kima

kima New Member

here r some pics

You can see him at the top in his new setup. He jumpin all over the tank last night and this morning having a blast...

[​IMG]

And here is one of him shedding

[​IMG]

15. field_hockey_gal

Very cool. Looks like a much nicer setup, and he seems to thinks so to! Nice Job! :)

Cute how hes all wrinkly when hes sheding!

16. kima

kima New Member

Glad you liked the pics. At first I thought the shedding was gross but then the skin was gone before I got home. So that was good. But it was cool at the same time. Thanks Bye.

17. kima

kima New Member

Hi guys! Sonny's doin great and he loves his new setup. Cya.

18. kima

kima New Member

hi guys. i just back from florida last week from my week long vacation and i was relieved to see sonny still alive when i got back. but sonny is doing great still and i have been enjoying watching him hunt his crix. i think my dad convinced him to start eating them while i was gone then he got hooked on them. well talk to you later. bye.