New tank for my Ball Pythons (95% complete)

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by supernova, Sep 11, 2011.

1. supernova

supernova Member

Finally took a day off to finish a project that has been in the works for 4 weeks now but looks good enough to share so I am sharing. :)

I made the center divider easily removable if I want the two spending time in the honeymoon sweet together if ya catch my drift. With the divider in each side measures 2'x2'x3' and without 2'x2'x6'.

Materials used:

• 1 qrt Walnut stain (waterbased) Exterior walls only
    • 1 qrt High Gloss sealer (waterbase) Exterior walls only
    • 1 4x8 sheet of laminate (tiger walnut pattern)
    • 2 tubes of liquid nails
    • 1 16" piece of plastic rain gutter leaf blocker plastic covermajigs for side vents
    • 40' 3/4" Quarter round trim
    • 2 2x3 1/4" thick clear polycarbonate panels ($$ouch$$)
    • 3 hardwood decorative trim scrolls
    • 20 6oz 6 shot cream de-menth mochas
    Cost for everything including nails and screws was around $300, Polycarbinate was about $150 of that. Must be a shortage...geeeez...but i'll swallow that as the quotes I got for a tank like this was $700 plus. After building it i can understand why but the result is awesome!! I may build another when things slow for the winter at work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I will be placing on a more stable platform but i just had to see how it looked in that location.

I am planning my igg enclosure so if anyone can point me to their personal igg enclosure I would love to see it. Planning is stealing others ideas and implementing them...lol.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Looks great! Can't wait to see it furnished with snakeys in it!

My snakes have always done better enclosured with opaque walls on at least three sides (particularly my BP's) so I'm sure they'll love it = ) I like the idea of the removable barrier, something I might consider on a couple of future builds...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh wow! I like the creme-de-menthe mochas the best... but your snakies might be a bit hyper after those! :eek: Lol.

Yeah the polycarbonate front is super $$ but at least you got the high grade so hopefully it won't scratch! I just caved and got glass when I made my beardie tank... I happened to find a local cabinet place and they took "scrap" pieces and cut and sanded the edges down for me for like $40+tip.... BUT it's glass so it was breakable so polycarb it a much better choice. The tank looks seriously awesome, love the color!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Thats such a beautiful tank ! i just got my first Snake yesterday and i'm looking into the right tank for him.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

That is GORGEOUS. =O Can't wait to see it completely set up with the snakes and everything. Definitely post your iggy enclosure, too. Actually, a step by step photo documentary of the building process for the igg cage would be spec-freakin-tacular if you have the motivation. *nudge nudge*

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I second Cammy's request... lol. And did you really use 40 feet of 3/4 round trim?

12. supernova

supernova Member

I used the Quarter round for the front bottom also to make the Door tracks so the door slides between the trim and quarter round so maybe a little less but i started with 40 feet and ended with fireplace kindling. I also forgot to add I used 18' of 1x3 fir for the front trim (Walnut stained) and hot glued felt to the front of the side panels between the wood and polycarbonate to keep it from scratching. I am planing on making a riser for the top to hide the lights with ample room to put a duplicate tank on top. When i find time that is...hmmmm, next year? maybe?

13. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

wow, that's pretty awesome! I would do sopmething like that if i had the time, money, or skill lol, but i'm sure they will love it! :)

14. supernova

supernova Member

I moved the snakes to the new enclosure last night and they seem to be happy for the most part, I still have to go get some manzanita tree branches,flat sandstone, and some hide boxes to be complete. I equipped the tanks with 75 watt heat lights and some under counter lights as well as Exo-Terra Digital Thermo-Hydrometer's in each side.

The camera gave me hell so they look like pastels but they are not, At least to my knowledge they don't have any in them but snakes are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get....wait....i've heard that phrase before...lol.

Happy Neighbors (or tolerant)
    [​IMG]
    The Male Normal (about 3 years old) on the left.He looks like a pastel under those lights though.
    [​IMG]
    And the Axanthic Female (4 years old) again cam + Lighting looks like a pastel.
    [​IMG]
    I will snap some better pics from my wife's phone after i get all the accessories in (wife always gets nicer toys).
    BTW: The substrate is "Good Mews" and works great, Easy to clean and i can change it out at a cost of about $2 a tank. I would rather use repticarpet but i can't find any in a 2'x3' piece. That stuff only costs me a tad of sanitizer and elbow grease.

StikyPaws312 and lizardgurl87 like this.
  15. supernova

supernova Member

Halloween props make great items for reptile enclosures, I give you the hide aka the witches cauldron.

Pastel has gotten so comfy my axanthic is trying to squeeze in.....lol. Cozy lovers right there.

[​IMG]

StikyPaws312 likes this.