New baby green basilisk!!! **pic heavy**

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by shortygirl, Jan 27, 2008.

1. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

My boyfriend and I are totally hypnotized by basilisks; they're sooo ancient looking and the whole "running on water" thing is just cool, lol. So we wound up picking one up while the server was down.

Everyone, meet Shrek!

First day home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dinner Time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "What no more??!!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's currently set up in a 40B with a MegaRay and shelf liner as a base substrate (we introduced a little bit of soil on the cool side by the water dish to help the humidity stay up recently). He's a riot...if you think water dragons are fast you ain't seen 'nothin yet! He's a lil green streak, lol. And definately has some personality already. I think he'll fit in juuuuust fine. He's going to be moved into Sprite's tank once we get done with her "final" enclosure. We're FINALLY are moving into our own place on 2/1, so let the construction begin! :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

he's gorgeous! look forward to many many more photos in the future. good luck with the move

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

Wow he looks sooo awesome. Ive seen brown basilisks in pet stores but never any green ones, where did you get him from?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

AW! Basilisks are lookers, and yours is just so cute. But BOY can they run. Lol, maybe he'll calm down a bit though, having him from a baby will help millions. Good luk with him, and like Jill said, we will be expecting more pictures soon :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shortygirl

Thanks everyone! Luke, he's soooo fast; he makes the water dragons look like they're sitting still! Spazzy, I actually got him at the little pet store I frequent to get my feeders. They had just gotten a pair in, but I only have space for one so I took the biggest & healthiest looking (for once).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

wow!!!! i love ur bask , he looks great. my bet if that he's gonna be a male cuse he has already a little lump growing on the back of it's head. can't wait to see more pic's

here's my bask
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sry, just couldn't resist showing him off :D

and yes, water dragons are nothing compared to these critters

12. LeoLady

LeoLady Member

Oh, he is sooo cute I can't stand it! Love the dinner time photo. I really want to see if you get a video of him running on water--I think that would be awesome....may need to go to youtube to find a video. I've never seen that before.

13. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

you won't see them running on water in captivity, there are 3 reasons why:
    1. they need to be really stressed and trying to ecape from something before they do. (and you don't want them stressed like that)
    2. in captivite cages are rearly big enough so they have room to runn across water (even if the waterbowls is huge they are fast enough to just jump over it
    and 3. as soon as they way over 200gramms (witch is about a year old) they lose their ability to run accros water.

even if it is possible to do it they will more likley just dive under rather then runn over water and if someone whas dumb enough to engourage it to runn on water the basilisk can hurt itself or even kill itsel running against a glass wall of the cage.

14. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

15. Annababe

Annababe New Member

Wow!

They look like little dinosaurs :)

How big do these get?

Andrea

16. shortygirl

Hi Andrea,

Males can get up to 36", females about 24" as far as I know. About the same as my water dragons.

They do look like dino's, that's why we like them so much! Like a mini-stegasaurus, lol.

17. Annababe

Annababe New Member

Hee hee!

That's not really very big at all.......................

Thanks for the info :)

Andrea

18. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

oh wow, ive only ever seen one pic of one of those before. he is amazing looking. i guess they leed loads of space since they are so fast

19. adam859

adam859 New Member

wow bask's feet get so big, there amazing, i love seeing everyones photos

20. shortygirl

Hey guys, the BF moved some kids around with the beardies waking up and all. Shrek's now in a 55 and absolutely loving it! It's a really nice set-up (I can't wat to get batteries for my camera so I can show it to you!). He's getting big and has a nice, fatty budda belly going on. I'll update the pics once I get myself to the store for some batteries :)

21. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Wow I've never seen a green basilisk either! Are they closely related to water dragons? Kind of look like a mix of water dragons and baby green iguanas hehe :)

Very awesome little guy. As always you never cease to amaze me with your collection! Definitely will be looking forward to more pics. :D