Need Help With UTH! Getting corn snake :]

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by XBellaxMuerteX, Jan 17, 2010.

1. XBellaxMuerteX

XBellaxMuerteX Embryo

OKie Dokie.
    So im going to be getting a beautiful corn snake :)
    BUT I dont feel like spending a crap ton of money on a tank.
    So people are saying the big plastic tubs at target walmart etc.
    Now i want to get a UTH at the petstore but im not sure how i should set it up under the tub..
    I read something about glass? Now i dont think it would burn the plastic right? i just need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about this UTH..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I'm not a cornsnake expert . . . most of my reptile experience has been leopard geckos. However, I'll tell what I know about general tank set-ups and heating.

The uth can get very hot, so it should probably be controlled with either a rheostat (dimmer switch) or else with a thermostat. If kept properly under control, the uth should never get hot enough to burn your snake or melt plastic, so it should be fine to set it up underneath the tub. Just be sure that you have a good accurate thermometer (for leos, we suggest the digital thermometer with a probe or temp gun) and set the temperature with the thermostat or rheostat. Then, check temperatures regularly to make sure that the thermostat probe has not been moved around and the room temps have not been dipping or soaring.

Welcome to the forum, and be sure to check out the cornsnake forum for advice from our cornsnake lovers :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

ive got a uth on my ball python bin. i dont have it stuck onto there, its just pressed to it using some bricks so i can reuse the thing since they are so expensive. also start out on the lowest setting then work your way up to the proper temp. as long as you can control the temps then you can keep it low enough where it wont burn a hole in the bin

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

If you are getting a hatchling corn snake then an Exo Terra Faunarium is excellent. This is what I keep my Elijah in. Not sure how available they are in the states. I prefered these to the RUB (Really Useful Box) as over here in the UK I struggled to find a clear one, I wanted to be able to see my snakey. Obviously the heat mat at one end underneath it, the the Thermostat/Rheostat probe lays on top of the substrate INSIDE the box along side the thermometer probe to regulate temps. Make sure you only have a thin layer of substrate, if using particulated substrate (so the mat is slightly visble) on the warm side. The last thing you want to do is have 10" substrate with the heat mat trying to send heat up through it, as on top of the substrate it will show normal temps, but then at floor level when the snake burrows it will be toasty hot and possibly cause him harm. If yo uhave paper towel/newspaper substrate then it should matter as it isn't very thick anyway.

Hope this helps

LM

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

It will burn the plastic (and cook your snake) if there's not enough airflow. Get two strips of plywood that are each 1" thick. Spread them out and rest the cage on top of them, putting the UTH underneath (not stuck to the tub; on the ground). You will also want either a rheostat or a thermostat (if you're tight on cash you'll definitely want to go with a rheostat) to fine-tune the temps.

Something along these lines.
    [​IMG]

Have fun with your cornsnake! :eek: