Need cheap Monitor/Tagu ideas.

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Ryeshu, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I'm currently in the process of trying to get my mom to let me get some sort of big lizard. A cage or tank of some sort is going to be my biggest problem. Ive been saving up for the lizard but the cage is my bigger problem. I herd many of them get very big but the size i want is about 3 or 4 feet. My room is already full of three big tanks. (A 55, 45, 40 gallon tanks) I'm trying to also get vision cages which will save me a lot of space. Is there anything i can do for this tagu to keep it happy in its cage and save myself some money?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

I dont know much about Tegus, but I would suggest that if you want to save money and have all of the proper equipment to build one, you should. They are generally cheaper to build, and you can make them as big or small as you need them. I would first suggest that if you havent already done so, to read up as much as you can on your chosen lizard and find out if it is right for you. Your first objective is to keep your lizard happy and healthy :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the only monitor good in a vision cage is a Yellow Ackie. Red Ackies get bigger then Yellows so they arent too good of a choice. no tegu would be good in a vision cage

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

u might want to do your homework on big lizards before you make a choice. monitors/tegus r ground dwellers and require a fairly large area some need room sized enclosures a 6-7' water monitor needs a lot of room to move around the ground and a 5-6' iguana needs climbing room. have a 4 foot iggy in a 3x3x7' high that he really enjoys i built for around$40 dollars. also keep in mind that rats, mice can run alot more than zucchini and squash.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

if u have any questions feel free to ask ive been keeping monitors for 16 yrs and still have my first i have a veiled chameleon, leopard gecko, speckled gecko, 4 foot long ball python, 3 ft savanna monitor, 6 foot savanna monitor, 5 foot iguana, sinaloan milk snake, and soon to be getting dart frogs. been raising lizards of all sorts for 25 yrs. big ones are my specialty.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xile

xile Member

I don't agree and JLExotics wouldn't either. They have a 5'x3' cage and are in the process of producing a larger. JLExotics uses the 5'x3' for his adult blues and albinos...