National Shortage of Mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by geckonewbie, Sep 27, 2008.

1. geckonewbie

geckonewbie New Member

I asked my mom to pick me up some meal worms, from petco or petsmart. No I do not support them I just needed some meal worms to feed my leopard geckos tell I make a order. They told her there was a nation shortage of mealworms? Is this true or is it petco people being stuiped?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

There has been a shortage of meal worms for months now. I got my last batch from a local reptile shop that seems to breed their own. It's a pain, but I'm sure your geckos will do fine with their other feeders still being available. :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckonewbie

geckonewbie New Member

Yea they will be fine I just had to ask becuase it did not sound right now me. I haven't heard this so I thought it was petco trying to get me to buy more expensive feeders.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

We have the same problem here in the UK.
    Apparently there is a virus affecting stocks, I was told today they are using steriods to combat it.
    I would be wary of ANY offered for sale right now.
    Use locust or crix till it is all sorted, several months down the line at a guess.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I just got some mealworms from online, but it turns out my leopard gecko won't eat them, but I called the company and they said that they don't add any chemicals to their mealworms except for the hormonally boosted ones. I would be weary though for that. But now I've switched to supers and they are so much better, the only downside is they are kind of hard to keep clean and can stink up really quickly. Also they are a little more expensive.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

DaKing,
    Try keeping your supers on a dry gutload substrate with lots of ventilation. On top of the dry substrate, lay a couple layers of paper towel, and on top of the paper towel, put some freshly cut up vegetables that you change out every day or at least every other day.
    This should cut down on the smell a LOT.