My iguana sleeps during the day

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mandee420, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bruno

bruno Moderator

The one with heat and UVB is an MVB lamp and needs a special ceramic holder for it, (the petshop should have them) because of the extra heat etc. The distance from these lamps to basking spot should be between 12 and 20", and the tempratures do get very warm so a good thermometer is needed to check temps with. MVB's are good, they put out a lot more UV which can only be good for them.
    It's really your choice whichever is easier to fit, personally I would use the MVB, then there's only one lamp to worry about fitting. They do need replacing every 9 months, same as tubes, because the UVB gets weaker with age, although the lamp works it's not efficient.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

Will they shatter on me?Do i have to be careful? When i set there room up should i use both the tube and a mvb?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

so mvb needs to be changed every 9 months and the tube every 6 months?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Yes that is correct.
    To answer the other post.
    It's highly unlikely they will shatter unless they get banged, I have never heard of one shattering, which probably wont happen if they cant get near it.
    Just use the MVB if thats what you intend using dont bother with tube.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

ok but how many whould i use? What if they go to other parts of the room? the room a huge but shouldnt the uv hit all around the room?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

the room aint huge

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

Just need the one above tree, if that's where they spend most of their time, they will sense were it is and find it, make sure there is enough space/area for both of them to share the UV, without sitting on top of each other. They have what they call a "Third eye" on top of their heads, a very sensative spot, and it's this they use to find the heat/uv etc.

13. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

how about when they get bigger will they need a little more? Do you think when i fix there room up i should make 2 basking areas for them? so they each get there own.

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

Think it's a good idea to have 2, if you can set it up, then with will have a choice.

15. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

If possible in the new room, try to get two of each thing. As they get bigger, they will probably want to separate at some points. In the room you are making, try to get two trees, each with it's own MVB setup. To help with room temp, you could also set up two CHEs in different areas of the new room. That would help if night temps did go down low and so the room will be a little warmer. With the room a little warmer, they might be encouraged to walk around it as well as look for a potty spot. I know if my room gets too cold and I don't turn up the house heat, she won't come out from basking. Good luck and hopefully all goes well.

16. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

I was also wondering about the carpet which would be better indoor or out door carpet or does it really even matter?Will i need 2 litters of water or will 1 be enough?
    And as far as the male go's is it true they are more aggresive towards a female owner and why?
    I was also wondering do they pay attention to the backrounds that pet stores sell for there tanks? Cause i was planning to paint there room green or get some tree like backround for them.
    For the summer im gonna have a cage built for them out doors so they can get the real sun but i was wondering will they end up with mits? Is there something i can put on them to prevent them for getting mits?

17. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

I was also wondering about the carpet which would be better indoor or out door carpet or does it really even matter?Will i need 2 litters of water or will 1 be enough?
    And as far as the male go's is it true they are more aggresive towards a female owner and why?
    I was also wondering do they pay attention to the backrounds that pet stores sell for there tanks? Cause i was planning to paint there room green or get some tree like backround for them.
    For the summer im gonna have a cage built for them out doors so they can get the real sun but i was wondering will they end up with mits? Is there something i can put on them to prevent them for getting mits?

18. bruno

bruno Moderator

For carpet I would use carpet tiles, and not stick them down, that way it would be easier to clean. You may be aware that iggies produce a lot of water when they "go" so a very short pile carpet would be better, just lift the soiled tile, wash, dry and replace.
    The more litter trays you have the more chance they with use them, depending on size of room 3 or 4 would be good.
    In the breeding season male do get very aggressive, specially to female members of family, it's a dominance thing as well as "female cycles", they are very sensitive to that. An aggressive male is a force to be reckoned with, be prepared for attacks, tail whipping and possibly bites.
    I dont think the background will make much difference, just your personal choice for decoration.
    Water based paint is better than oil based, with the extra heat and UV in room oil based could give off fumes.
    An outdoor cage is a great idea, make sure they can get OUT of the sun if they wish, they wouldn't sit in sun all day in wild.
    Regards mites, there is nothing you can put on them to stop mites, easier to treat after infected. Just make sure the climbing branches are kept clean.

19. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

How about moled paint? sense i have a warm mist humidifier for them i heard moled paint helps prevent molding. Or will that be flameable 2.
    Will he always be aggressive towards me or just breeding season?
    If i take them outside is it a sure think they will get mites?
    If i give them a bath everyday do you think they will learn to go in the water? Ive heard thats how people potty train them is this capable? or they still will sometimes go where they want?
    Oh by the way when i was looking for a vet for them most always ask how big they are and told me when they get big they dont take them in anymore do you know why?

20. bruno

bruno Moderator

Dont use mould paint, it contains fugicides and could harm them if they happen to lick the paint.
    It's usually just in the breeding season but there's no guarantee it will be limited to that time, all iggies are different.
    You can never tell about mites, they may or may not get them, as long as cage is kept clean the risks are reduced.
    Yes they can be potty trained like that, I taught mine to "go" in tray before she could come out, didnt always work, had a few accidents on carpet.
    I've never heard of a vet refusing to treat an animal due to size, I would search for another vet.

21. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

Ive found a vet that will take them no matter what size. I was just wondering why some wont take them when they get big i find it strange.I was also wondering if the room temp ever dropped would it be ok to use a regular ceramic heater to warm up room or is this not good?
    You know how people spray them with water to keep them moist i heard they have this bio mist spray that is suppose to hydrate them is this any good or is it just about the same as water? beacuse i heard some things they sell isnt as good as they label them.

22. bruno

bruno Moderator

I find that very strange as well about vets and I have absolutely no idea why.
    You could use a standard ceramic heater but you must have some sort of cage round it so they couldn't get near or climb on it.
    That Bio-mist is only used when they are sick or badly dehydrated, save your money and use normal water.

23. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

sorry it took me so long to respond but thanks for all your help it was useful if i have anymore questions i will post it thanks again

24. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

Feel free :)

excuse me for mandee if you want to add more info please dont add another post. just click the edit button in the bottom. so you can fix it. because too many post can confuse us. its better to be 1 long post than to be many post but shortly.

thats it. thx :)