my crestie not eating

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by G_Ryda, Oct 26, 2004.

1. G_Ryda

G_Ryda Embryo

ya ive had a crested gecko for about a year now and until just about a week ago hes been fine but now he's barely eating at all and looks very skinny, he spends all of his time on the ground not moving at all during the day (dont know about night), and he just overall doesnt look very good. doesnt anyone know why this is, if so HELP! im very concerned

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Going to need more info like: cage size, temps, feeding, substrate, furniture, room hes in, sounds he hears, etc.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. G_Ryda

G_Ryda Embryo

20 gallon tank screen lid, around 70- 75, i feed him peach baby food bout 4 times a week plus crikkets occasionally dusted ones, i use orchid bark, rocks branches fake plants, my room, not really any sounds in my room i dont have and tvs or stereos and hes male

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

try making an insect smoothie type thing with wax worms, crickets, mealworms, and some vitamins all crushed up and mixed into a liquidy form and try feeding him with a small syringe or see if he licks it up. also leave baby food in his tank constantly and change it everyday. try feeding him crickets more often too...JEFFREH...all you buddy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Orchid bark isnt the best substrate, and if hes not eating it could be due to impaction. But if hes pooping ok than I doubt it. Is he pooping ok???

The temp is fine, if thats during the day it could go up a wee bit so digetion and activeness is a bit higher ( like sonstantly around 73-87 at day). The slushie is a great idea, but maybe no mealworm. If there is the off chance of impaction than that woulnd be something you want to add to make it harder on him. But if it was different a mealwomrs in there would be A ok!

Now, you also understand that these are nocturnal lizards right? If your observing him during the day than there could be the chance he's sleeping. Mine usually doesnt get super high sprung and active until about 11 pm EST.

Also, where did you get it from? I know of a few people who only have fed their crested a diet of babyfoods. So they really dont learn the hunting instinct too well.

Thats all I can think of, maybe a little more info on him and how much is he pooping. Other than that what klik said should be followed for a picky eater like that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. G_Ryda

G_Ryda Embryo

ya hes pooping good lol ahh ill try some of those ideas c how he is

12. G_Ryda

G_Ryda Embryo

o ya im new here, heres a question how do i put a pic on my reply?

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Good thing hes pooping. Could just be the getting old stage or he prefers the pitch black dark more, mine became suddenly lazy and gained weight from the ages of 13-15 months. When all of a sudden, he looked like all that bear belly went to his head and stretched out. He grew 2 1/2 inches in what seemes like overnight. Bt still keep on the watch.

Orchid bark you should take out, and try thr slushie and constantly feed crickets and the babyfood as klik said.

As for pics, to be honest I'm not to good with them at all. I send mine to a friend of mine and they do all of the business for me. How about you ask this quetion in the photos and photagraphy forum OR the general chat.

14. reako45

reako45 Member

What would you use instead of orchid bark? Wouldn't it have to be something that holds humidity well?

reako45