Mercury Vapor Bulbs .... CHEAP !!!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by TacomaAnne, Mar 8, 2009.

1. TacomaAnne

TacomaAnne RR Contest Winner

I know that most of you use MegaRay MVB's but with them being on backorder for a while now, I had to switch to the PowerSun MVB.

I found that from ZooMed that they re-did their bulbs and are almost as good as the MegaRay bulbs now.

I found that the following site has them CHEAP !!!
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile...owersun-uv.html
    $ 37.90 for 100w
    $ 39.90 for 160w

Oh and they are doing a 5% off orders right now !!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Any tests been done on these to show if they are as good as the mega ray? I want a mega ray but nobody has em.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

I will try and get Bruno to come to this thread - he knows much more about this than I, but i know that when the power-suns were "re-done" they were having issues with photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. Stacesam (in the BD forums) purchased one recently and her beardie immediately started showing symptoms, which resolved as soon as she removed the bulb.

I also recently purchased a power-sun when the mega-rays were on back order and as soon as i put the bulb on my uros activity level crashed, he avoided his basking spot and his appetite declined, as soon as i got another mega-ray he improved. My instance may be purely antecdotal as there could've been other factors involved, but cases such as this were enough to leave me wary of the new bulbs.

As far as i know the mega-rays are back in supply now - i just got three new ones about a month ago. Check their site at www.reptileuv.com to see about ordering one.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Found the test data. I just ordered one. I have been using zoo meds 150 w basking bulbs. He probably has not been getting near enough UV from those. Not to mention they don't last long.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Of course NOW I see this right after I ordered the zoo med. I couldn't find anyone with mega ray in stock even the place you suggested. I will give this one a try and see how it does. At some point I will get the mega ray.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

Mega-Ray bulbs are made by the same company that makes the T-Rex Active UV Heat bulb. There should be no difference at all between the two other than packaging.

*Zoo Med's 150 watt basking bulbs do not provide any UVB. They are designed to simply provide heat and light for your enclosure and animal.

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Powersun MVB's have changed and they do produce more UVB than they used to, but it seems there is still a possible problem with them.
    The Solar meter 6·2 measures the strength of the UV, whereas the Solar meter 6·5 measures intensity or UVIndex as I read it.
    Your average UVI is around 1·6 to 3 depending on where you are in world. The majority of MVB's put out around 3·7.
    The problems with the Reptisun COMPACT lamp last year they were putting out 9·7. That caused the reported eye problems in some reptiles
    Even one of the new ones at 8·7 is 4-5 times stronger than natural daylight in most places, unless you are in the tropics at noon, where the UVI can be up to 12.
    A powersun at 24" puts out more than double the UVI of a Reptisun 10.0 tube at 12"
    They are not dangerous but great caution should taken if using them, absolute minimum distance should be at least 14" even if reptile stands on tiptoe.

13. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

I am not aware that Zoo Med changed the powersun recently.

I have been using 100W powersuns on several groups of breeding jewelled lacertas, argentine tegus and even for a basking area for a few species of turtles.

in several months, I have not noticed any problem what so ever.

I have sent an email to their national sales manager...stay tuned.

14. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

I know they don't. Hence the reason for something else. I have UV lights though. ;) Looks like I just wasted my money on this Powersun if what you say is true Bruno. I will attempt to cancel the order and hope I can find someone with mega ray.

15. bruno

bruno Moderator

Rick
    I am NOT saying dont buy them
    I am NOT saying dont use them
    I am suggesting you use with caution and increase the distances between the rep and lamp

16. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

I can only go so high due to my setup. Right now I am at about 14 inches but could go up about another five. I cannot cancel the order but will go ahead and give this a try. I know the symptoms of the eye issue and what to do about it so I will be watching.

17. bruno

bruno Moderator

At least you are now fully aware of the possible problems and are watching.
    Changes in behaviour, appetite, sat with eyes closed, avoiding the UV and bright light are all symptoms.
    Hope its ok with new lamp, if not, return it to ZooMed direct with full explanation and list of symptoms.

18. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Thanks. Will do.

19. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Got the bulb. He has been spending a lot of time under it. He has always been yellow but this light really brings it out. Even his feet and underside are bright yellow. The pics do not look like it does in person though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. figtree29

figtree29 Embryo

Hmm, I didn't know that zoo med re-did the power suns. When was this that I missed it completely in the herp world? I know most uro owners are very fond of mvbs. I am too, but I haven't had a chance to buy some. I am planning on getting some later this year. I am using just plain uvb n separate basking for mine. I have the zilla desert T8s, they work well for my uro. I believe those were re-done as well. A lot of re-making in the reptile world. Thats good I guess. At least its all for the better. My uro is pretty active as it is. So I can only imagine with an mvb how it would be. If I get an mvb it would probably be the megaray. We'll see though.