Making a cave/hide

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Ryan1990, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I've read loadz of peoples posts on here on how to make rock walls and caves from expanding foam and tile grout. However, I cannot find tile grout without fungicide in anywhere I've literally been looking for about a year now and until now it hasnt been that much of a worry because I've always managed to buy caves big enough for my boa for a fairly reasonable price. Now that he's got much bigger; 1. finding a cave or hide big enough is hard enough and 2. when you do find big ones the prices are stupid. So if anyone from the UK knows of somewhere to get tile grout with no fungicide in that'd be great. If not does anyone have any ideas what I can make them out of. At the moment I'm using cardboard boxes and/or plant pots but I want something a bit more attractive.
    Cheers :p

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Ryan,
    I doubt if you will find grout here in the UK without fungicide.
    Might be worth thinking about and that is to use Plaster of Paris, available from modelling shops etc. I found this SITE and the bandage type is available in different widths and lengths, you could use mesh to make a frame then cover both sides to encase it.
    Just an idea.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

Thats actually a really good idea, you wouldnt happen to know if theres anything that could be harmful to snakes/lizards in plaster of paris? If not I'd definatly try that, can find some non-toxic paint and go mad, nice grey-brown colour with some green dabs to give the mossy affect :p

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    From the model shops I would think it's safe, they wouldn't sell it for kids to play with, full of toxins.
    Go for it :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hey im thingking of this too, but i dont know, what is a tile grout??
    im thinking of making smaller hides from clay, and stone wall either, like from a piece of triplex and then i put the clay there (makin stone patterns) and then burned them. but are they safe??
    thx :p

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Tile grout is an adhesive of attaching bathroom or shower tiles to wall, I dont know if you have this sort or thing where you are. Most Tile Grouts on sale have anti-fungal agents (stops mould) in them and these are toxic
    Triplex is a sort of plastic...yes ??... I would NOT use it as it could give off toxic fumes.
    There is no reason why you cant use clay and just shape it into a hide then let it dry or bake it.

12. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

triplex is some kind of wood but very thin, about 1 milimetre thick. but i think they paint it with white paint. nah, its paint dangerous??

13. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

Could you build a chicken wire/mesh structure then cover that in plaster of paris or something similiar do you reckon?

14. Ryan1990

I think that would work well, Bruno suggested this as an idea to me (further up the page). Havnt tried it yet due to being very busy but will do when I get round to it ;).
    Let me know how it goes if you try it.

15. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

I didnt see that,my bad lol.I have a week hoilday next week from college so I'll get the stuff ready this week then try an do it next week.Will keep you posted

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

Just to add a little more input.
    If you use plaster of paris, get some playsand, make sure it's totally dry then cover the PP while still wet with it. Then when totally dry the excess sand will fall off and leave you with a nice rock coloured hide. You can then if you wish coat it with clear yacht varnish, which is water based, this would seal it but must be left for a week or so to cure off completely and fumes disappear.
    If used in a high heat enviroment then dont use the varnish.

17. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Sounds like you've got it figured out.

I just have something to add on the topic of making your own naturalistic hides.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93148

Found this on another forum. Definitely easier and less expensive, if a bit flimsier, than a clay/grout hide.

Something to think about. :blink:

18. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hey, is grout some kind of cement??
    not always to attach tiles, but for bricks too?
    or that's different?

19. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

to whome,
    whoever dreamed up these idea are geniuses, I have had this problem for two years. spooks ran out of room due to girth. I have been racking my brain out to think of a new way of building this, plaster of paris, is great but I was worried about the coolness, especially around the winter. im in super cold temps. but this foam. is it toxic safe when dry?
    thank you shy

20. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Yeah, I think it's a bit weaker than cement, but grout works for bricks too.