Leopard gecko substrate choices

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by tokaygirl55, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Hi, so I recently read about sand substrate and impaction and stuff, so I'm replacing my substrate. What would you suggest? I'd appreciate a quick response because I'm passing a very large pet store as my local one doesnt have as much supplies.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

I only use tile. Its cheap, easy to clean, looks nice etc. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Hey, tiles work great or anything flat with no loose particles, because leopard geckos are clumsy eaters or swallow sand on purpose.

Though I use carpet (must be a flat carpet), but that's just because it's too difficult for me to obtain tiles at the moment.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

i've ordered some cork sheeting on a roll that's usually used for model railway setups placemets notice boards etc - its only 2mm thick and can be cut to size. I'm hoping this is going to be okay over the UTH in my wooden viv.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Cork would do very well as a substrate, I've been thinking about changing over one of my tanks to cork for a while actually.... pictures when you install it please! :)

12. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

Heres the layout so far Lauren :) I'm well pleased with it - the bits of white are kitchen roll as I don't know where Toby will poop. I didn't think it would work that well as it's supposedly an insulator? Yet it does really warm up. I have used 2 layers over the UTH. I would think you'd have to be careful not to get it wet but then it's so cheap it's easily replaceable.
    l rsz_1rsz_2013-04-27_054430.jpg

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Actually one of the good things about cork is that it's incredibly water resistant. That's why they use it in wine bottles :)

Look awesome!!!

14. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

Thankyou - lots to do tho yet.