Killing Rodnets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by ChamBreeder2005, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

Hi
    I was just wondering about the best way to kill rodnets are. As i have started to breed them and there are ready to be killed so what is the best way. I used to buy them buy the crate dead but got a bit pricey.
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Well, until people with experience show up, here's all of the various ways I have heard of...
    Lay them on a table, put a pencil against the back of their head, push down sharply and give their tail a tug.
    I've heard of people putting them in a sack and swinging it against a table 1 good time.
    You could build a CO2 chamber from some PVC pipe and a paintball gun CO2 tank.
    Sneak up behind them with a paper bag full of air and pop it.
    Put on a scary gorilla mask and jump out from around a corner when they aren't expecting it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spike121

spike121 New Member

i breed mice for my BP and i just put them in a ziplock bag and trow them in the freezer

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

We have a C02 chamber, it's quick and easy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

ok i have lots of spare pvc i will probly build one thanks. Any other comments?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Do not just freeze them alive. That is not a humane way to do it. It is slow and it is painful.

I made my gas chamber out of 3 components.

One of these: CO2 Tank

Once of these: A Coil Remote Hose

And a Sterilite or rubbermaid tub appropriately sized for the amount of rodents you will be wanting to gas at one time.

Basically all you do is hook the Remote Hose up to the tank. It just screws on. Then you take the other end of the Remote Hose and hook it to the plastic tub.

To hook up the Hose to the tub I drilled a hole just big enough in the tub for the Hose to fit. Then used some silicone to fill the gaps around the Hose.

And there you have a very effective and humane way to euthanize you rodents.

12. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

I agree shrap, just throwing a mouse in the freezer, alive, is cruel. Thank you.

13. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

i use grill tong to grap the head and on quick pull on the tail instant and painless. plus realy fast

14. Janice

Just to add something to Shrap's post, CO2 chambers purchased from the US, cannot be filled in Canada, and paint ball chambers can only be refilled by a paint ball place. It is also less expensive to go to a Gas Supply place, and they charge a yearly rental fee, and then for fillups, but the container will last for months.

15. landon_ltca

landon_ltca New Member

not true, i bought my co2 tank for may paintball gun in the usa, and i was able to have it filled at the local canadian tire store, also many hardware stores here have fill stations

16. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

yes you can go to dicks sporting goods to and a lot of outdoor places, such as ones for hunting or fishing may have fill stations......

17. Janice

landon Itca, really? I was told by the Canadian Tire here, and a Paintball place that the bottles have to have a CDN Federal Gov. seal sticker that approves the bottle for use here. Geez, I think you got lucky.

18. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

They way I do it is I use kitchen tongs, grab the head then flick the frist back fast and it snaps the neck. Dont know if that is humane but thats how i do it.

19. shrap

It kills them instantly so I would say it is.

20. Woodnherps

Woodnherps New Member

I guess I'm a barbarian then. I just pull them out of the bag by the tail and wack them on a counter top or hard surface. Works quick and easy. My wife hates it because I never warn anyone.

21. shrap

Nothing wrong with the "whack" method. Anything that kills them instantly....

22. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

i dont need to deal with rats or mouse but my friend feeds rats to his boa and it is the funny the way hi kills them he makes a lil nose tise it on the rats neck and the string is about 10 feet long he ties the end to his finger and does a lil yoyo action of the 3rd floor balchaney i think it is the funniest tyhing ever

23. johnsmerlin

johnsmerlin Embryo

Yup,I do it the same way woodnherps. My hubby cant stand to do it but I will. The snake is going to kill it anyways right whats the big deal. I figure it this way, safer for snake and less painful for rats,feeders. I dont know if I will be able to do rabbits or other feeders because of size, But will find out when snake needs bigger food.

24. johnsmerlin

johnsmerlin Embryo

Just for curiosity how many rabbits or other Large feeders(not rats) can a co2 tank like the one in the link euthanize?

25. wjfr26

wjfr26 New Member

You can euthanize as many as you want since they make co2 tanks any size you want. All it is, is the bigger the container, the more it can kill... All it does is suffocates the feeder which knocks it unconscious and it dies. It is painless and very humane...