Keeping Crickets Alive

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by jazee, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jazee

jazee Embryo

Trying to figure out how to reduce the mortality rate on crickets. I buy them from PetSmart supposedly on the day they get them delivered (Tue and Thur). Put them in a bug keeper with chicken starter and fruits (apples, melons) and vegetables (carrots). Seems like 40% or more will die over the course of about 10 days. I tried the Flukers Orange Cubes and still have about the same mortality rate.

What else to try? Water pillows? Mist the keeper ocassionally? Different food? Does PetSmart's source suck so should I mail order from a different source

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

are they adult crickets? If so.. they are pretty old already.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hookup1225

hookup1225 Embryo

I have the same issue. I buy them 100 at a time from my local reptile store and it seems that in 3-4 days at least 40% are dead. In my case I get med size crickets and I don't think they are adults.

E

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Cold is something to consider. I'm not sure what temps they like, but notice you don't find crix in cold areas. You could get a low wattage CHE to put by the keeper.

For hydration, I use orange or grapefruit slices.

If you continue to have this problem, you might want to consider buying online. It's usually cheaper, depending on how far the breeding facility is from your area.